Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Adding Brett C to a barrel of old ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
commonlaw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Adding Brett C to a barrel of old ale?

I brewed up an old ale recently and after 4 weeks in primary stuck it in my 5.25 gallon whiskey barrel. I'm thinking of adding Brett C to get some of that stock ale taste and start inoculating the barrel for funkier things once all the whiskey character is out. Should I just drop a tube of brett into the barrel right away? Or wait a while? Is that too much brett? The beer will be in the barrel anywhere from 2-8 weeks depending on taste. The barrel is probably already getting some funky things since it is sitting in my unfinished garage near an old wood work table, but I thought I'd help it along.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2010, 03:56 AM   #2
Jaymo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A tube of brett isn't too much. Actually, the cell count in the brett packs/vials is much lower than ale & lager strains. You might as well toss it in right away. Brett C can be a bit of a slow-poke sometimes, so that'll give it more time to do its work.

The only time I would wait is until after primary fermentation is done, but you're already well beyond that point with this beer anyway. Good luck!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply