Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Adding Brett to a Brett beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2011, 02:04 AM   #1
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Adding Brett to a Brett beer

I'm wondering if this is something different, or if people have done this before.

I have an all-Brett beer going. Pitched Brett-B at 1.060, after 4 weeks was clearing and was down to 1.016 and stable. I racked the beer off the yeast, and then added ~20% of the cake back in. 3 weeks later it is cloudy and started fermenting again.

This is my third time doing this. The first 2 started at similar gravities (1.055-1.060).

The first got down to 1.018 and stopped and cleared. I racked and re-pitched part of the cake, and by 12 weeks had gotten down to 1.004.

The second got down to 1.008 and stopped and cleared. I racked and re-pitched part of the cake and by 10 weeks had gotten down to 1.002.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 174

I'm wondering, for an all-Brett beer, wouldn't just rousing the yeast during the primary ferment accomplish the same thing?

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 09-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
stevehollx
Recipes 

Regarding rousing the yeast--isn't disturbing the pellicle a bad thing to do, since it will expose the Brett to more oxygen (and potentially create higher levels of acetic acid)?

Old 09-24-2011, 06:13 AM   #4
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

The oxygenation from racking is probably essential to restarting fermentation from brett to kick it out of the primary fermentation qualities into the secondary fermentation qualities. You could probably do the same thing by agitating the fermenter to degas the beer, just like when making mead.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 174

I'd be curious to see the difference in fermentation doing a side-by-side experiment with 1 fermenter getting agitated and 1 fermenter getting the rack & re-pitch treatment.

Calder, you mentioned your 3rd time doing this. Has this consistently been your process for funky beers, or is this a change in process for all-Brett beers?

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Quick Reply