The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Added Oak Dowel - Craziness Ensues

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #11
King of Cascade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieBrewer View Post
No, it should be touching. If the point of it was solely introducing oxygen, you could do that a number of different ways.
How would you recommend adding the ideal amount of oxygen to a carboy other than the oak peg.
I am not getting much of a pellicle and think I might need more oxygen but I don’t want to add too much and ruin my beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2014, 09:17 PM   #12
dantheman13
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
Pretty much. I've always suspected there is something wrong with Raj Apte's calculations that lead him to the dowel method. Rodenbach ends up more acetic than lambics which are aged in small barrels (for the most part), so it makes sense that it should be getting more oxygen, not less (as he suggests). I suspect that while there isn't much oxgen getting though the swelled wood on the sides of the massive tuns the "dry" roof might be letting in more than the math suggests. Personally I like acetic acid at sub-threshold levels, a lot of Flanders Reds taste like sweetened malt vinegar to me.
I am a bit behind no this subject, but it seems like Raj took down most of the links to his oak peg method? Jamil recently alluded to him no longer recommending this method because the wooden pegs were swelling for people and busting glass carboys (around 20 minutes in): http://s125483039.onlinehome.us/arch...314QAsours.mp3

I owe MrK305 a beer!

My YouTube Channel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply