*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > 6 gallon Barrel Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #1
Biscostew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 6 gallon Barrel Question

I have a 6 gallon barrel that I had been using to age beers in and I recently pitched a bunch of different Brett strains in it. There is a nice pellicle on top and everything seems to be going good however I am noticing a slight off flavor that I believe is vinegar/medicinal in taste. I am wondering if the staves in my smallish barrel are to thin and the beer is getting to much oxygen, promoting the growth of acetobacter. The beer has been in the barrel for about 6 months now, but it is not horrid that one wouldnt want to drink it.

Has anyone had any similar experience with smaller sized barrels and anyone have any idea if these flavors may fade out with continued age as the beer continues to sour?

Check out my blog Lionheart Brewing for homebrew recipes other beer related thoughts or follow me on twitter @LionheartBeer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 11:30 PM   #2
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's not acetobacter. Well, it shouldn't be. Brett produces acetic acid in the presence of oxygen.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
tasq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Vinegar taste = acetic acid. Smaller barrels will leave much more of your beer exposed to oxygen than a larger one. Therefore you can't age in them as long as a big barrel. If it was me I'd get that beer in a carboy or better bottle asap.

There are a few threads floating around on this topic that get into more detail.

Quick Reply