The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > 3711 saison with brett?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2011, 12:28 AM   #11
Goodbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat280 View Post
3711 doesn't leave much for the Brett. If you mash higher and pitch them at the same time you'll get more brett character. I'd just build a brett starter from your favorite brett beer. I like to use 3711 for most of my saisons but I'll use the Belgian saison with brett since it will poop out easy if you don't ramp your temps. I pitch the Belgian and brett so I get the nice peppery character and the brett has more time to do its thing.
Sorry to revive this, I see its a bit old...

Do you find that when you pitch brett at the same time as your belgian saison yeast (or 3711 if you've done it with that one too) that you get a very strong brett flavor or is it a little more subtle? I'm planning on doing a slightly sour saison but this will be my first sour attempt. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2011, 11:05 PM   #12
RiverRat280
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodbeer View Post
Sorry to revive this, I see its a bit old...

Do you find that when you pitch brett at the same time as your belgian saison yeast (or 3711 if you've done it with that one too) that you get a very strong brett flavor or is it a little more subtle? I'm planning on doing a slightly sour saison but this will be my first sour attempt. Thanks

I want to try it with the Belgian saison yeast but I've only tried it with the French Saison(3711). The great thing about brett is it can give a surprising amount of flavor without a large gravity change. Lactobacillis will give you sourness but the brett will give you different flavors, maybe a bit tartness but more pineapple, pie cherry or barnyard depending which strain you pick. I like rye in my saison's and some brett. Not huge brett flavor but it gets more predominant as it ages.
I've tried pitching the brett at the same time as primary yeast and tried after without appreciable difference because that 3711 works so fast and brett works so slow I just pitch it in the secondary. Brett lambicus is one of my favorites.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply