The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > 2nd generation brett

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012, 03:06 AM   #1
jmich24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default 2nd generation brett

I have a Saison in the primary that I pitched Brett B and Wyeast Belgain Saison from the start.
My question is, if I pitch a new Saison wort directly on the cake will it get funky faster? I have read that Roeselare get more funky/sour faster after each generation. Is this true with Brett?

Kegged: Galaxy IPA, Belgian Dubbel and Cherry Funk (Flanders Red + 10 lbs cherries)

Primary: Ned Flanders Red, RR Consecration on 2nd Gen Roeselare, Soured BDSA, Brett B ESB, Brett Trios Oatmeal Stout runnings.

Next: Oro de Calabaza Clone, Backwoods Bastard Clone, House IPA, House APA, German Hefe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 03:51 AM   #2
crawfman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

The funk comes from stressing the brett. Since there will be a higher cell count now, it could possibly act a little different producing more fruity/less funky characteristics given this is what I always get when doing brett beers with very large starters.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:15 AM   #3
jmich24
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfman View Post
The funk comes from stressing the brett. Since there will be a higher cell count now, it could possibly act a little different producing more fruity/less funky characteristics given this is what I always get when doing brett beers with very large starters.
Makes since, although not the answer I was looking for...

Kegged: Galaxy IPA, Belgian Dubbel and Cherry Funk (Flanders Red + 10 lbs cherries)

Primary: Ned Flanders Red, RR Consecration on 2nd Gen Roeselare, Soured BDSA, Brett B ESB, Brett Trios Oatmeal Stout runnings.

Next: Oro de Calabaza Clone, Backwoods Bastard Clone, House IPA, House APA, German Hefe.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
spearko520
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 210

i think when you reuse the roselare, it's the ratio of souring organisms that changes from the initial balance they have determined to best represent the flemish red style. so the lacto and pedio get a little stronger each time, making each successive batch more sour.

"i like to drink. I do it all the time, every day."- anthony jeselnik

Old 04-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I repitched on primary brett beers and you cannot tell they were fermented with brett. I am aging them, so in a few months, maybe things will change, but 1 month in, they taste like a beer fermented with sacc.

My hop stopper

Old 04-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
mikeosoft
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearko520 View Post
i think when you reuse the roselare, it's the ratio of souring organisms that changes from the initial balance they have determined to best represent the flemish red style. so the lacto and pedio get a little stronger each time, making each successive batch more sour.
Also doesn't the lacto feed on dead yeast cells? It makes sense to me that you would have a lot more of that available from the start if you pitch onto an old cake.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeosoft View Post
Also doesn't the lacto feed on dead yeast cells? It makes sense to me that you would have a lot more of that available from the start if you pitch onto an old cake.
No that's brett.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I think anything living in the wort will utilize the amino acids and micronutrients that any lysed cells offer in a fermenting beer. I don't know if you guys use yeastex but all that stuff is made of is DAP and dead/dehydrated yeast. You could save money and buy the dap and just mix it with some saved slurry to dump in at the end of the boil. So basically the common wisdom says that brett uses the dead sacch cells, but all living organisms will utilize what the dead cells have to offer. So in the case of Cascade Brewing and their Lacto only souring their lacto will use any lysed cell nutrients. It's not species specific it's just a case of what's around. It's not like the brett are chomping on the empty cell walls of the dead yeast. They're just using the macromolecules necessary for life.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Quick Reply