*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > 1st sour this weekend

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
Krelja
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 1st sour this weekend

I've been reading up on how and what to pitch as far as yeast goes and I'm still a little confused. I know I don't want it sitting on the yeast cake for too long. So my qusetion is should I use some dry yeast to start and then move it to my designated sour carboy and add the roselare. I don't want to have the wild yeast in 2 different carboys for fear or it screwing up a different beer. I have packets of US-04, US-05, and nottingham. I figured I pitch one of them and let it get down a little bit then switch it over to the secondary and add the roselare and let take its course. The expected OG is right around 1.060 so what do you think just chance it a pitch the roselare then rack and let it go or pitch some dry let it sit for a couple days then pitch the roselare and forget about it for a year?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

When I made my Flanders Red, I pitched just the Roselare blend and racked to secondary after 30 days in primary. It's been aging in secondary since 10 May and there it will sit for another year.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
ace3's carboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

if you're using roselare, you will want to pitch that into primary. it is a blend of everything you will need that is designed to work from primary on. if you were adding you own bugs, you would primary with a different yeast and pitch the bugs later.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

To contrast, when I made my flanders red I fermented first with S-04 to get down to 1.016. Then, I racked to secondary and pitched the roselare blend.

However, I was merely looking for something less sour than Rodenbach Grand Cru, from what I understand if you want more sourness, it is best to do what flyangler18 suggested. However, if you are looking for something more along the lines of Rodenbach Classic, like I was, I would suggest following my method.

The time in the carboy remains the same for both beers in my opinion.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
Krelja
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm definately looking to make it as sour as the grand cru. The only reason I was thinking of using dry yeast at first is I don't want to really have to worry an infection in a later beer due to having all the bugs in the primary. I don't want to dedicate 2 carboys to sours if I can't get the bugs out of them. I'm pretty much set on using 1 of the carboys strictly for sours but I don't want to use 2. So is the primary less likely to hold the bugs in?

Old 09-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
Jamo99
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Is the primary glass? You should be ok with a nice bleach solution soak afterwards if it is.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:21 AM   #7
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

even if its a better bottle you really have nothing to worry about

Ive made many sours in a better bottle and the next batch was a "clean" beer, its not like the pedio/lacto/brett/sherry flor are super bugs, they are just as easily killed by bleach/iodophor/etc as anything else, in fact the bugs that are in the air/surfaces in your house are probably much harder to kill

Old 09-04-2009, 03:02 AM   #8
Krelja
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just looking for some reinforcement on the situation. If worse comes to worse I'll just have to have 2 sours going. As of now I have 3 glass carboys and 2 better bottles. The only problem is that I'm going to jumping up to 10 gallon batches soon so I guess I'll need more caboys as it is

Quick Reply