Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > 1st sour started, but is 25 IBU too high?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2011, 04:23 AM   #1
ghpeel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default 1st sour started, but is 25 IBU too high?

Just finished primary fermentation on my first sour beer, a Belgian Amber fermented with Wyest Lambic Blend and some Orval dregs later (hopefully). However, I didn't really adjust my hop additions:

1.75oz Hallertaur 4.8% at 60 min: 25 IBU or so.

Here's the rest of the recipe:

8lb Pilsner
3lb Munich
.5lb Special B
.5lb Flaked barley
2oz carafa III dehusked

Wyeast Belgian Lambic Blend (3278) - make starter with 1 qt wort.
2 bottles Orval dregs, added at a month or so
2lbs dried cherries (optional)

So now I'm reading a few folks saying to keep sour IBU's in the 10-12 range, and I'm double that. So should I do anything to correct this issue now, or just wait and see?

I'd probably prefer to scrap the plans to age this beer 6 months or so if its going to be too bitter in the end. I'll just drink it young as an acidic double, and try again by pitching a new beer on this cake.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 04:59 AM   #2
BootsyFlanootsy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

if I'm not mistaken, ( and I might well be), but I believe that the higher the IBU's the more difficulty the lacto has at getting a foothold in the fermentation process. Brett doesn't seem to be as affected by the higher IBU's as I've read of plenty of folks making all brett IPA's to no ill effect whatsoever.

IMHO, that isn't a very high rate of IBU's, it's just at the absolute limit of where you'd want it to be. I would just give it time, as cliche as that sounds.

Worst case scenario, build up a starter and repitch?

Old 03-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Agreed, Russian River does a couple sours up into the 20s with fine results. Pedio is fine at those IBUs, so you should still get plenty of sourness. 24 IBUs is also low enough that the flavors shouldn't clash (especially since a year from now you'll be down to about half that).

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 03-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks guys. BTW Oldsock, I really dig your blog. I've been reading it every now and again since you first showed up on a Basic Brewing podcast. I definitely plan to start using your techniques for sour beers.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Quick Reply