Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > 13 gallons of unintentionally wild Brown, can I use it?.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #21
thelorax121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like what you've done with this, sounds like a cool experiment, hope it turns out, keep us posted!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009, 06:13 PM   #22
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Personally I'd want to get as much fruit out of there as possible as soon as it has done its thing. It'll get rid of the pellicle, but I'd rack it to another carboy and filter out all that junk.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:48 AM   #23
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBruver View Post
Personally I'd want to get as much fruit out of there as possible as soon as it has done its thing. It'll get rid of the pellicle, but I'd rack it to another carboy and filter out all that junk.
Sweet, when do I know it's "done it's thing"? Do I just wait a few months? Or?

Old 11-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #24
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBruver View Post
I would actually suggest you leave it on the fruit, you WANT a pellicle, I mean this is a wild beer, and it would reform anyway, its forming because of the presence of O2 in the headspace, I also dont think that 1.5months on fruit is too long, I havent personally used peaches but with cherries/dates/raspberries I usually leave them in for 6mos+

Old 11-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #25
COLObrewer
Recipes 

OK, for those interested, here's what I'm doing now, I racked half of this off the fruit and left the rest, I'll be feeding both of these with some new brown in the future. Here's what it looked like before I mixed, let settle, then racked 1/2.

Here's what it looked like while racking:

Racked into my new old guinness fermakegermentor:

This is getting real complex flavours now, still not as sour as it was initially but is coming back. Note that half the grain bill in this was brown malt, I believe 14lbs brown and 14 lbs pale if I remember right.

I may add some more fruit to the half I racked off, depends on how it progresses, right now you can still taste the peach, it's subtle and may go away completely I'm guessing?

Also I plan to infuse some oak in some way, when should I do this? For how long, I believe flanders set on oak for a long a$$ time? Does it matter if I just throw some oak chips in? or a dowel? Do I need a barrel? Is there such a thing as using oak tea? Any comments are appreciated.
Brew on my friends

Old 11-20-2009, 06:52 PM   #26
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you want oak I would suggest going with French oak cubes or chips, and not to use too many of them since you only want a subtle hint of oak. Maybe 1 ounce for the whole batch. Leave them in there to give the Brett you added with the Temptation dregs something to work on.

In about a year this beer is going to be heavenly, I bet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 11-25-2009, 01:46 PM   #27
janzik

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I still have that carboy of infected goodness. It's an esb extract. Is there ever a time to not try and bother with trying to salvage an infected batch. I smells like nail polish remover and has the layer of white on top. Anyone have any recommendation for what to do with that hot mess?

Old 11-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #28
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If it smells like acetone, unfortunately I'd say pitch it. I just had this exact thing happen with a pale ale, and no good can come of it. It tastes about as bad as it smells. I left it for a couple weeks to see what would happen and it only got worse.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:38 AM   #29
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by janzik View Post
I still have that carboy of infected goodness. It's an esb extract. Is there ever a time to not try and bother with trying to salvage an infected batch. I smells like nail polish remover and has the layer of white on top. Anyone have any recommendation for what to do with that hot mess?
Sounds like it's been about 10-11 months, I would taste it first!, It may be wonderful. But that's just me.

Last edited by COLObrewer; 11-26-2009 at 02:47 AM.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:50 AM   #30
sw341034
Recipes 

I would suggest oak barrel. I think the slow gas exchange the barrel allows for is something you can't get with chips or additives.

Quick Reply