Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > 13 gallons of unintentionally wild Brown, can I use it?.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #11
B-Dub
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Bobby M,

That cherry concentrate looks great!! How much per/5 gallons? Does it tend towards cough medicine or stay true to the fruit?

Nice find!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #12
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

That site doesn't specifically say what the fresh cherry to concentrate ratio is but I know from other vendors that it tends to be 100 pounds of real cherry per gallon of concentrate. Most fruiting is done at the 2lb/gallon ratio so a pint of concentrate would be like 12.5 pounds of fresh fruit. The flavor of the straight concentrate is a little cough mediciny but it doesn't stay that way after if ferments out. I think it's just due to all that sugar.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 08-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #13
janzik

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

This is slightly

I'm a bit confused here. Are we encouraging the drinking of an infected beer? I've got something that got infected back in January, yes January, and I've been too lazy to empty the carboy. It's just sitting in the corner of my brew closet doing nothing but looking ugly with a layer of white on top. Smelling inside the carboy smells like nail polish remover...

Old 08-22-2009, 04:50 PM   #14
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It's really an experiment more than anything else. Some infections are better than others. A lot of people would taste a good lambic and gag so it's all a matter of opinion. It is a gamble to spend money to add things to a potentially wretched beer.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 08-23-2009, 01:01 AM   #15
bhatchable
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am now inspired to make a flanders brown. I love sour brown ale, but have never thought of making one...

Old 08-23-2009, 10:43 PM   #16
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo View Post
If you want to understand subtle Brett character, crack an Orval. Note the aroma as well as the taste.
Can't find an Orval anywhere, I picked up a bottle of Cantillon Iris, is that decent?

I just put all my sour cherry juice and cherries in a wine I'm making, but I can buy some frozen pitted sour cherries, how much should I add for 13 gals, should I thaw and juice them first or smush and throw them in skins and all?

What about toasting the oak?

Old 09-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #17
COLObrewer
Recipes 

How about fresh peaches, I have a bunch of those about 30' from the cellar, I could freeze and mash them and throw them in.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:27 AM   #18
bhatchable
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

anything new with this? what'd you decide to do with all of that brown?!

Old 09-20-2009, 04:08 PM   #19
COLObrewer
Recipes 

I added appx. 25 lbs of fresh peaches smashed with skins, also scooped some floating peach pulp/krausen from a bucket of peach wine that finished primary 3 days ago and poured it all in and mixed. It has since started fermenting the fresh peaches presumeably with the wine yeast, I've been punching it down every day like wine. I'll probably stop punching it down when this round of fermentation is complete.

I also have a 1 gallon carboy of open fermentation going (mixture of samples from a bunch of different beers and wines) that I will add to this later, then let it sit for a year or so.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:19 AM   #20
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Well fellows, this has been on peaches for about 1.5 months, also I added dregs from a bottle of russian river brewings temptation ale on 10-19, pellicle looks to be formed again over all the floating peachness.

Do I remove the peach pulp that is floating or let it go? for how long? I intend to taste this soon and maybe try some oak, let me know your thoughts? I can take a pic if needed.

Quick Reply