Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > 100% Brett Rye IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #11
beerandloathinginaustin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 378

LOL! I've never neglected late hops! I dunno how much it'll dry out on one strain. I keep hearing it acts like Sacc if it's primary strain.

The real debate is running it like Sacc and then adding a new Brett strain later on since I'll have the rye proteins for body.

www.BJCPhero.com - Certified Cicerone and Lead Cellarman for Refuge Brewery. Trying to win an award in all 23 BJCP beer categories (7 down so far with 19 awards) & taking Brett excursions along the way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 04:02 AM   #12
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Getting back to the question late, but I'd cut 2 row to make room for rye, personally. Munich is wonderful in IPAs and it will add a nice malt character to the dry sour rye thing you're making.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

beerandloathinginaustin Likes This 
Old 07-03-2012, 05:14 AM   #13
bradjoiner
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i am about to do something similar but plan on making about 30 % of the grist wheat. from my understanding and all commercially available beers i have had this beer is not going to be supper attenuated but will have a body closer to a saisson although much cleaner with hints brett funk. i am going to use brett c because i think the tropical notes will go better with all the hops. what gravity are you shooting for just out of my curiosity. i have heard that a big pitch of brett will ferment out a 1.090 beer in about 2 months

Old 07-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #14
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 3

+1 on upping the rye, i'd go around 20%, 10% is very subtle. i'd take it away from the 2-row

while tett does go very well with rye, i think your centennal/nelson combo will complement the brett better and still go well with the rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ton View Post
With the way Brett should dry a beer out, I'm assuming you can go down to even 20-25 IBU and have an IPA feel. Especially going on the session side, don't neglect the late hops though!
100% brett acts very much like sacchro, it doesnt super-attenuate. i usually get 80-85%
Old 07-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #15
beerandloathinginaustin
Recipes 

I ended up going 78% 2row, 15% rye, 7% light munich. I wanted a touch more than subtle from the rye. Thanks for the input and I will update with how it turns out.

www.BJCPhero.com - Certified Cicerone and Lead Cellarman for Refuge Brewery. Trying to win an award in all 23 BJCP beer categories (7 down so far with 19 awards) & taking Brett excursions along the way.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #16
beerandloathinginaustin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjoiner View Post
what gravity are you shooting for just out of my curiosity. i have heard that a big pitch of brett will ferment out a 1.090 beer in about 2 months
Low 1.060s. A little higher wouldn't be the end of the world. I want it on the sessionable side & I want to leave a little room in case it crazy attenuates.

The starter of 644 has been rocking out off and on the stir plate for a week now so that should line up with Crooked Stave Chad's recommendation of a 1.048 starter for 8 days.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #17
beerandloathinginaustin
Recipes 

Just wanted to update & report that I'm quite happy with the beer I brewed. The rye is by no means super-present, but it's a lovely beer nonetheless: http://untappd.com/beer/228379

I left it on the yeast for 7 weeks & hit it with a bunch of Nelson & Citra of course.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #18
weremichael
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerandloathinginaustin View Post
LOL! I've never neglected late hops! I dunno how much it'll dry out on one strain. I keep hearing it acts like Sacc if it's primary strain.

The real debate is running it like Sacc and then adding a new Brett strain later on since I'll have the rye proteins for body.
It does ferment like Sacc. If you add it after a Sacc strain, you'll have to wait a few months for the Brett. to really come through.

I've done the house strain Brett. from Crooked Stave in IPAs with crystal hops as my finishing/dry hop additions. It was ok, but I am not the biggest fan of Brett. IPAs though. Matter of fact, still don't know why I brewed that beer??

Old 09-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #19
kmos
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Thanks for the follow-up on this thread -- Sounds like the beer came out pretty well!

Were you at all concerned about the ph of the mash? I've heard some reports of folks adding a half pound of acid malt and that helping the Brett ferment out. It sounds like you didn't have any trouble in that regard though?

I am putting together an all-brett recipe with wlp650 and would be interested to hear what your experience was. What was the FG?

Primary: Saison; German Black Ale;
Secondary: n/a
In the Barrel: English Mild;
Bottled/Kegged: Oud Bruin (ECY23); English Mild;
Up Next: Ordinary Bitter;

Old 09-19-2012, 01:51 AM   #20
beerandloathinginaustin
Recipes 

Truthfully, I was not quite advanced enough to worry about pH of the mash a whole lot, but I did use 5.2 buffer. I ended up with 78% efficiency. Here's the recipe: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f78/sink-spoon-100-brett-rye-ipa-355279/#post4424646

Quick Reply