Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > 100% Brett Farmhouse inspired ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #11
BootsyFlanootsy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the tips on the the grains.

Why all the grains?

I suppose it's due to having just read Farmhouse Ales combined with a pressing desire to get back to all grain. After multiple batches of PM's and Extracts I felt like going over the top. Which if I do say so myself, I believe I have achieved.

Agreed. At the least this will be an interesting beer to watch develop and hopefully, ultimately, to drink as well.

The hydro sample tasted fantastic all by itself, very complex and "grainy". I wound up drinking it all.

What the brett and the 3724 do to it is anyone's guess at this point.

Last edited by BootsyFlanootsy; 03-30-2011 at 04:17 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #12
BootsyFlanootsy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

wow, so much for waiting a month for the 3724 to finish out. This batch is already down to 1.002 in about two and a half days. It's tasting great already, though it's obviously still VERY cloudy and rough around the edges. There is a significant punch from the Brett already. I have a feeling that given the proper time this is going to age out quite nicely.

I will say however that, at this point, the brett presence is more up the urinal cake alley in the aroma department. Hopefully this will subside in time. If not, perhaps a dry hopping may be in order?

Old 04-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #13
BootsyFlanootsy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

anyone have any thoughts on how long to secondary this brew? it's fermented out as dry as I imagine it's going to go; 1.002 and I could swear I saw a tumbleweed blow threw the airlock the other day.

what would be the benefit to a secondary conditioning, just to allow for all things to mellow? Would this not also be achievable via a long healthy bottle conditioning?

I am planning to bottle this is 750ml corked belgians btw.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #14
mhenry41h
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I hate when tumbleweeds blow through my airlock This is a really interesting topic. Im not sure I'd do any secondary on it personally. I'm days from a VERY similar brew and I will be pitching Brett Brux with Belgian Saison yeast. I don't plan on using a secondary at this point and Im figuring between the traditionally slow finish of the Belgian Saison yeast and the Brett finish, it will take a month...

Fermenting: Lambic and Dry Orange Blossom Mead
Conditioning: Brett Drei Golden Strong
Next: Nut Brown, Wee Heavy, & Rye IPA
Drinking: Brett - Aussie Blonde, Black IPA, Belgian Stout, Munich Helles

Follow My Brewing Excursions at:

http://<br /> <font size="5"><font ...</font></font>

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dracon...58343357538490

Old 12-19-2011, 07:25 AM   #15
BootsyFlanootsy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Bumping this thread back up as this has now been bottled, ( and corked), for a couple of weeks and the little 8'oz test bottles I capped are already phenomenal. I think I neglected to add to this thread the fact that I racked this onto 7.5#'s of locally grown sour cherries back in the end of june. It sat on the cherries with about 1oz of Medium toast Hungarian oak cubes until, well, about two weeks ago. Smell is fantastic. Initial aroma is of wild cherries and pie... followed by some serious bretty, barnyard funk. Not for the meak. Early tastings find the character from the 3724 showing itself well, very present on the finish. It goes in sharp and acidic and tasting and smelling of cherries and has a very interesting almost pie crusty flavor in the finish. I **** you not.

I can only hope and imagine that these will only continue to improve with age, if I can manage to keep my hands of them long enough.

Nice work Al.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:40 AM   #16
LynnHomeBrewer
Recipes 

I'm aging 2 different Saisons 5 months after fermentation. I was told by few brewers and The Mad Fermenter that Brettanomyces works slow and steady cleaning up leftover unfermentable sugars the yeast leaves behind.

Saison #1 had extra spices added during brewing... bitter orange Peel, coriander, peppercorns and grains paradise. I Fermented with WLP670 American Farmhouse Ale yeast with a blend of Brett. White labs could tell me the blend (proprietary reasons). Its has a great film of slowly growing big bubbles that look as if they had powder sprinkled on it.

Saison #2 brewed was same partial grain and Extract Saison with no spices at all and different hop additions. This time I'm going with WLP568 Belgian Saison yeast blend in primary and Brettanomyces Claussenii in secondary for 4-5 months.

Let me know how everything works out, hope helped out any.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:55 AM   #17
LynnHomeBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhenry41h
I hate when tumbleweeds blow through my airlock
What's the tumbleweed thing your referring to? Airlock dried out?

Quick Reply