Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > 100% Brett Beer II

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2007, 02:55 AM   #1
landhoney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default 100% Brett Beer II

Well the starter of my next strain of Brett, Brett lambicus(wlp653), is going and so I'm to brew something different. The description for this one:

High intensity Brett character. Defines the "Brett character": Horsey, Smoky and spicy flavors. As the name suggests, this strain is found most oftern in Lambic style beers, which are spontaneously fermented beers.
Also found in Flanders and sour brown style beers.

The last part is what I'm after. So I'm going to brew Jamil's Flanders recipe with only Brett L. The problem is that Brett on its own doesn't produce terribly sour beers. The sourness in these style beers moslty comes from Lactobacillus and Pediococcus, maybe some others. So the plan is to blend it with some very sour beer I have at/near bottling time.

This batch will also be 2-2.5 gallons because of its experimental nature. Here's the grain bill:

32.1 4.50 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2
32.1 4.50 lbs. Vienna Malt America 1.035 4
3.6 0.50 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.036 25
21.4 3.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
3.6 0.50 lbs. CaraMunich Malt Belgium 1.033 75
3.6 0.50 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 120
3.6 0.50 lbs. Wheat Malt Germany 1.039 2

I've brewed this recipe before(waiting the 6months- 1year till its ready) and its good and I think it has potential to turn out very well. The original recipe calls for wlp001 as the primary strain, and Roeselare for secondary. 15IBU's from a 60min addition of EKGoldings.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2007, 04:15 AM   #2
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Default 100% Brett Beer II

I've made two lambic's thus far (7+ years) and they are GREAT! For both, I used Wyeast 3278 (lambic blend). For the first, i also added Pediococcus. That was nice and sour. For the second, I only used 3278. That has been aging for about 6 months and i haven't tried it yet. Maybe I'm not the best one to answer this based upon that, but i could definitely smell the sourness with the second one. It probably won't be as strong as the first, as you elude to. I haven't brewed with the White Lab's Lambic strains, but they can't be that much different than Wyeast. Either way, I'm sure it will turn out great.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:49 AM   #3
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks avidhomebrewer, nice to meet another sour beer brewer. I haven't mentioned this previously, but my goal is to use these wild yeast strains seperately,learn about them, and then make my own blend with harvested yeast from the fermented batches. Next on my list is the Pedio.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

This starter looks very different; the Brett is growing in a thick layer on the surface of the starter. Its amazing the difference between these two Brett strains. I definitely don't think its an infection, it started quickly and looks clean/light tan and is going strong. It just seems to ferment somewhat differently.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:54 PM   #5
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Here's a pic of the fermentation, not as crazy as Brett C, but it is a different recipe(similar gravity though). Plus, one of my cats.
dsc_00030001.jpg

Old 11-08-2007, 01:55 AM   #6
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Default brett II

Ahh, nothing like seeing fermenting beer! Isn't it great? I don't make starters with my lambics, just smack the pack and in it goes. Seems to work out well because the beer is in the fermenter for so long.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:01 AM   #7
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

have you ever made a berlinner weisse? i made one a few years back and am going to make another one this month. that is another fantastic sour beer.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:11 AM   #8
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

That looks good! I remember Jamil saying he was aiming for Rodenbach Grand Cru with his recipe. Personally, I like to use all Vienna and unmalted wheat, because I have read that brett likes the starch from unmalted grains. You have to remember that brett acts totally different in the presence of dissolved oxygen. It will grow like normal yeast, ferment and attenuate like normal yeast and won't really make the beer too sour.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:54 PM   #9
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iordz
That looks good! I remember Jamil saying he was aiming for Rodenbach Grand Cru with his recipe. Personally, I like to use all Vienna and unmalted wheat, because I have read that brett likes the starch from unmalted grains. You have to remember that brett acts totally different in the presence of dissolved oxygen. It will grow like normal yeast, ferment and attenuate like normal yeast and won't really make the beer too sour.
My first Brett beer was bottled the other day(need to update that thread), and I know this one will not be sour like rodenbach......yet maybe. As I see it I have three options for this beer:
1. Bottle as is, won't be too sour or at all
2. Blend with some sour beer I already have
3. Add Roeselare Blend and make it a 'real' Flanders

Once its close to done I'll taste it and see what my best option will be.

And yes avidhomebrewer, I have made one Berliner Weisse with apricots. Its loosely styled off Dogfish Head Festina Peche - only better I'd really like to make a 'to style' BW soon though.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:41 AM   #10
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Bringing this one back from the dead

Ive been thinking about an all Brett L brew lately and was curious how this one turned out?

Quick Reply