Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > 1 Year Old Sour - A little Thin?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #11
dwarven_stout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pericles View Post
No.

The OP hasn't explained what style he's shooting for, but the BJCP guidelines suggest that sours* should have low to - at most - medium carbonation. Some of the sours are even acceptable served still.
Gueuze and fruit lambics are also (very) highly carbonated. That's 3 of 6 BJCP sour styles, and if you ever try to enter a still lambic, you'll learn very quickly that judges don't read that part of the style guidelines.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #12
pericles
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Gueuze and fruit lambics are also (very) highly carbonated.
<smacks self in face> That's true - I forgot about both of them!

Nevertheless, the OP includes a recipe for a single beer, so he's not brewing a gueuze, and his recipe doesn't include fruit, so it's not a fruit lambic. I continue to think he's aiming for a Flanders Red but, regardless, high carbonation will not be to style.
Kegged: American Wheat
Bottled: Belgian Golden Ale.
Planning: American Amber

Old 07-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #13
weremichael
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 22

J,

Are you trying to compete or comply to BJCP? If you are, you should follow pericles advice. I would be careful blending this beer with a more full-bodied (higher gravity) beer if you plan on bottling. The brett. could create bottle bombs over the course of your bottle aging.

If you are not concerned about "style," I would increase the carbonation level. I've found that I prefer all of my sours at a pretty high pressure. I don't measure my pressure other than what PSI I serve at (18 PSI). I've found that my beers that TG at 1.002 or so have a better mouth feel at that high of PSI.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #14
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pericles View Post
<smacks self in face> That's true - I forgot about both of them!

Nevertheless, the OP includes a recipe for a single beer, so he's not brewing a gueuze, and his recipe doesn't include fruit, so it's not a fruit lambic. I continue to think he's aiming for a Flanders Red but, regardless, high carbonation will not be to style.
True, assuming that he's going for a "style". I guess I mostly just wanted to zing you on the bjcp comment.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

weremichael Likes This 
Old 07-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #15
jalgayer
Recipes 

All

Thanks for the replies. It is a Flanders Red that I am shooting for but I am not super concerned with the BJCP as its unlikely I will enter it.

I like the idea of carbing to the higher end of the style since its easy to aggressively pour if I want a little carb taken out.

Its really quite sour now with essentially no background sweetnees, but I just added some lactose sugar two weeks ago and it really helped to balance it. Still just as sour but with a slightly sweet background and a much better mouth feel (less thin) than before.

I will probably let it sit for another few months then bottle at the 15-18 month mark. Very tasty. Its really neat to see how it progresses. There was really nothing in the way of sourness at the 5-6-7 month mark. A little at the 8-9-10 mark, and now at the 11-12 month mark its just blossomed wonderfully.

J

Regards,
Jason

BOTTLED / DRINKING
Mad-Elf Inspiration, Graff

SECONDARY
Flander's Sour Red {1 Year Old on July 28, 2011}

PRIMARY
Vanilla-Almond Pumpkin Ale, Surly Furious, Triple Karmelite Clone

ON DECK
Double White