Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Lambic & Wild Brewing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/)
-   -   1 Year Old Sour - A little Thin? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/1-year-old-sour-little-thin-255756/)

jalgayer 07-08-2011 04:37 PM

1 Year Old Sour - A little Thin?
 
Hey All,

Original post and recipe below this post... Today it is pretty sour and tart and wild (in a good way) -- But it tastes a little thin. Like its watered down. Will this change when carbonated? Is there a way to "thicken it up" a bit?

Thanks!

J


MASH THE FOLLOWING AT 155F for 90min
1.75# Munich
1.75# Vienna
8oz Aromatic
6oz Caramunich
4oz Special B

BRING TO BOIL AND ADD
2# Wheat DME
1# Light DME
1oz Fuggles (15IBU)

COOL TO 68F AND ADD
Wyeast Rosealare Blend into a 6.5 Gallon Bucket with an airlock

FERMENT IN BUCKET
3-4 weeks

RACK TO 5GAL BETTER BOTTLE
With little head-space and an airlock

FORGET ABOUT IT
In the basement in the mid to high 60's for a year

ADD 1oz OAK CHIPS
To the better bottle for 1 more month

BOTTLE
With a little extra yeast

STATS

Predicted SG: 1.049
Predicted FG: 1.002
Predicted ABV: 6.1%
SRM: 13

doodlebug 07-08-2011 04:53 PM

I'm not really sure how low sours usually finish, but anything at 1.002 is going to be really thin.

tasq 07-08-2011 05:07 PM

Carbonation will help, but many folks blend to combat this.

GreggZ 07-08-2011 05:07 PM

The more carbonation the more preceive mouth feel. Thats why this style is highly carbonated. Should be fine.

jalgayer 07-09-2011 01:49 PM

Thanks guys. I had a feeling carbbing would help.

Vance71975 07-09-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalgayer (Post 3069999)
Hey All,

Original post and recipe below this post... Today it is pretty sour and tart and wild (in a good way) -- But it tastes a little thin. Like its watered down. Will this change when carbonated? Is there a way to "thicken it up" a bit?

Thanks!

J


MASH THE FOLLOWING AT 155F for 90min
1.75# Munich
1.75# Vienna
8oz Aromatic
6oz Caramunich
4oz Special B

BRING TO BOIL AND ADD
2# Wheat DME
1# Light DME
1oz Fuggles (15IBU)

COOL TO 68F AND ADD
Wyeast Rosealare Blend into a 6.5 Gallon Bucket with an airlock

FERMENT IN BUCKET
3-4 weeks

RACK TO 5GAL BETTER BOTTLE
With little head-space and an airlock

FORGET ABOUT IT
In the basement in the mid to high 60's for a year

ADD 1oz OAK CHIPS
To the better bottle for 1 more month

BOTTLE
With a little extra yeast

STATS

Predicted SG: 1.049
Predicted FG: 1.002
Predicted ABV: 6.1%
SRM: 13

Maybe i am wrong here, But aren't sours suppose to be "dry" and aren't most beers that are very "dry" also usually lacking in body or thin?

dwarven_stout 07-09-2011 02:35 PM

Carbing will help a lot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vance71975 (Post 3072043)
Maybe i am wrong here, But aren't sours suppose to be "dry" and aren't most beers that are very "dry" also usually lacking in body or thin?

Not necessarily, on either count.

Vance71975 07-09-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwarven_stout (Post 3072098)
Carbing will help a lot.



Not necessarily, on either count.

Well that one i wasn't sure on, but i do know every sour i have had seemed thin, say with every beer that said "dry" in the name or description, so i just figure it was suppose to be like that.

jtakacs 07-17-2011 07:41 PM

i'd go low imo. i see this as sort of a bell curve... dry beers are helped by carbing, but too much makes them "seem" drier...

pericles 07-18-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

The more carbonation the more preceive mouth feel. Thats why this style is highly carbonated. Should be fine.
No.

The OP hasn't explained what style he's shooting for, but the BJCP guidelines suggest that sours* should have low to - at most - medium carbonation. Some of the sours are even acceptable served still.

I'd guess from your recipe that you're shooting for a Flanders Red? If so, the guidelines call for medium body, but an FG of 1.002 is acceptable. I would aim for medium carbonation to boost the body a bit, myself, but I definitely wouldn't turn this into a belgian by over-carbing.

You can also take tasq's suggestion and blend this with another beer to try to boost the body. Since you're already in the range of final gravities suggested by the guidelines, you might consider adding just a touch of unsoured beer? If you add just a little, you could bump your FG up to 1.007 without losing too much of the sour flavor.

*Berliner Weisse is an exception but, from the recipe the OP gives, I don't think this is a Berliner Weisse.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:24 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.