New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > 1) how to use oak chips? 2) how to make it sour?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 09:40 PM   #1
mdweil
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default 1) how to use oak chips? 2) how to make it sour?

Two questions:

1) I've got 5 gallons of cherry brett brux that been fermenting for a bit and I'd like to add oak chips to impart a bit of that flavor. I'm thinking about adding 1oz of oak cubes from the HBS t gain that flavor. Since I've never added oak cubes before, what is the best way to do that? How long should I let it sit, two months?

2) I also have 5 gallons of raspberry brett brux that is way too sweet for me and I want to bottle it soon. Would adding 1oz of liquid lactic acid make this sour?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 10:18 PM   #2
dantheman13

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 61

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atCAKLzPvkg

I owe MrK305 a beer!

My YouTube Channel

Old 01-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
dwntwnbwn
Recipes 

1) Depends on how powerful the flavors are of the beer. You have to taste it every so often till its what you want. (maybe every week or so, then more often when its close to what you want). Some will boil the cubes or at least give them a few soaks to take out the initial super oak-ie-ness of it so it doesn't overpower the beer. Its all about balance and personal preference.

2) Adding synthetic lactic acid gives it a weird taste they say. It either needs to ferment longer so the brett can slowly chomp through those sugars that are making it taste too sweet or if this beer is several months (like 9+ old) then maybe blending it against a dry base beer will do it.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
Soilworker
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

What's the gravity on the sweet beer? What yeast strains did you use? How long has it been fermenting? Fermentation temp?

I would say adding lactic acid is a quick band aid at best and I don't think you'll be happy with the end results if you were looking for a sour beer...patience is critical with sour\brett beers.

Secondary: West Flanders Red, Golden Sour, Saison Brett #2 with Brett custersianus and Brett naardenensis, Saison Brett #1 with Brett bruxellensis

On Deck: 100% Brett IPA, West Flanders Red #2 with ECY BugFarm

Old 01-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
mdweil
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The gravity is at 1.012
I used WLP644 Brett Brux
The temp is 62F
It has been fermenting since June

The sample I took just tasted too sweet for it sitting this long. I've made this before and it was more sour than this batch. I did everything the same, i'm just a but perplexed.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #6
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 3

1) 2 months should be good, 1oz wont get overly oaky to have to fret tasting it that often

2) i wouldnt. if you want it sour, i'd add some dregs to it and wait another 6-12 months. is the sweetness just from the raspberry or the beer itself?

btw, 644 is brux trois, very different than brett brux. in any case it wouldnt be sour just from using brett.

also was this a 644 primary or secondary? if primary, this was finished months ago

Quick Reply