Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Robust Porter - 531 Brew Haus- 1st Place 2009 HBT BJCP Comp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2010, 05:04 PM   #21
boosh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

That's what I thought, thanks so much.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #22
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Yep-- thanks David!

Old 01-25-2011, 07:11 PM   #23
midfielder5
Recipes 

I need to brew this up again. I even have the grains all measured; just waiting to be milled. aghhhh the holidays!

Old 01-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #24
ShorelineThomas
Recipes 

Update on Tom's batch:

The beer was in secondary, "bulk aging," in a carboy. But the SG wasn't dropping. I finally went and bought a belt heater and carefully draped it around the carboy, and used a sanitized turkey baster to stir up the bottom every few days. It raised the temp alright, but having racked to secondary before fermentation had advanced nearly far enough, I was fighting an uphill battle to get the SG to go down.

But eventually, in about 4 weeks, I finally got the SG to reach just a point or two over target. So then I bottled it, a few days after Christmas, which means the beer was about 3 months fermenting, total, or about 2x the hoped-for schedule. Lesson learned: Next time I do this I will definitely do a gravity reading while still in primary and not rack unless it's nearly fully fermented.

I built a platform with a hollow space under it, and put the bottles in boxes over that in my closet, and put the belt heater on the floor underneath (in the hollow space) hoping the additional warmth would help the bottle carbonation occur, as it is otherwise too chilly in the house in winter. Three weeks into this process, I took one test bottle, chilled it in the fridge for 3 days, and tried it.

Pretty tasty, but practically no carbonation or head to speak of. I'm guessing that once again, my temperature is too low, which I believe was an issue during secondary "bulk aging" as the SG was way too high for much of this period, and now the bottle carbonation isn't happening very fast. So I'll keep the bottles in this "warm" chamber a few more weeks and try again.

Probably there's a lot about high SG beers I need to learn first.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #25
midfielder5
Recipes 

sorry to hear, Tom! all of these HBT recipes should be loosely followed re: the fermentation stats. The yeast don't read a calendar the yeasts are done when they decide and obviously aeration, pitching rates & ferm temps vary amongst each brewer.
for others-- don't move any beer off yeast unless & until you hit FG or thereabouts (a few points). it could take 2-3+ weeks for bigger beers (OG above 1.050).
i will update the OP.

cheers,
Wendy

Old 09-21-2011, 03:20 AM   #26
drawdy10
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 9

nice i wanna brew this!

Old 09-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #27
midfielder5
Recipes 

I am also going to brew this Porter soon... get it ready for winter.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #28
holychicken
Recipes 

Definitely giving this recipe a try.

However, I am fairly new to partial mash brewing (like 1 previous batch that I made some mistakes on), although I have brewed a number of extract only.

I was just a little curious with your partial mash instruction. Are you replacing all of the 2 Row with LME/DME? Or do you keep some of it for the mash?

And are you putting all of the remaining grains (outside of the brown sugar) into the mash? Or are some simply steeped later on?

Thanks for any input. Really looking forward to trying this.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:24 PM   #29
midfielder5
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by holychicken View Post
I was just a little curious with your partial mash instruction. Are you replacing all of the 2 Row with LME/DME? Or do you keep some of it for the mash?
And are you putting all of the remaining grains (outside of the brown sugar) into the mash? Or are some simply steeped later on?
You know, that is a pretty darn good question or two.
> The recipe anticipates replacing all 2-row with extract, yes.
>> All specialty grains are to be steeped. In hindsight, you probably cannot "mash" without 2 row. I am no PM expert (or expert at anything actually).
I will think about it, and maybe update the information.

Cheers,
Wendy

Old 02-27-2012, 01:08 AM   #30
BostonHomeBrew
Recipes 

Default Thanks for the recipe!

Thanks for the great recipe! Although, I'm using Beer Alchemy and the 9# of extract is putting it at an OG of 1.080. I'm assuming I should pull it down to ~6lb 12 oz? That seems to put me in at around OG 1.064 and FG 1.019. Brewing it tonight!!!

Quick Reply