Polonia Porter (Baltic Porter)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
Three months ago I began working up a Baltic Porter recipe since I'd never brewed one before. I'd been reading about Baltic Porters in my current issue of All About Beer, then found a couple of recipes that had won BoS awards at various contests and pulled from them. I specifically wanted to duplicate Polish Porters like Okocim and Zywiec. I tried Okocim beside Flying Dog's version and, while both were good, I preferred Okocim.

Well, I put this stuff on tap to carb up a couple of weeks ago and just tried it last Sunday. It really turned out very well. So well, that I may make it on a regular basis! I had three pints this weekend and had to force myself to move on to my other beers on tap. It has the Port and roast character I was looking for and it's pretty close to style. Maybe a bit more coffee flavor than some Baltic porters, but I like it. :D I really need to do a side-by side w/ Okocim and Zywiec.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BeerSmith Recipe Printout
Recipe: Polonia Porter
Brewer: Mark Pannell
Asst Brewer:
Style: Baltic Porter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (40.0)
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.84 gal
Estimated OG: 1.089 SG
Estimated Color: 44.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 41.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.50 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 42.98 %
7.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 42.98 %
1.00 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 5.73 %
0.75 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 4.30 %
0.32 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 1.83 %
0.25 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 1.43 %
0.13 lb Roasted Barley (550.0 SRM) Grain 0.74 %
0.75 oz Nugget [12.50 %] (60 min) Hops 24.0 IBU
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (20 min) Hops 10.8 IBU
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (10 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
5.00 gal Chicago, IL Water
1 Pkgs California Lager (Wyeast Labs #2112) Yeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 17.45 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 19.20 qt of water at 165.2 F 152.0 F

I have been thinking and reading up on robust and/or Baltic porters. I have never made one either. So, I have a few questions since you have 100% more experience with this style than I do.

Any reason you chose a lager yeast?

What about the hop schedule? Is there much hop flavor with the high AA late addition hops?

One more stupid n00b question... Why all the small amounts of different grains? Special B and Crystal 120 are not that different that such small amounts of each would be detectable would they?

I understand the roasted, and Caramunich for dextrins and body.

Any thing you would change? recommendations?

Thanks.

Here's my answers:

Any reason you chose a lager yeast? Because that is what the majority of breweries that brew Baltic Porters use. The yeast and long, cool conditioning is what really gives it it's flavor profile, IMHO.

What about the hop schedule? Is there much hop flavor with the high AA late addition hops? Not really. Just enough to balance the sweetness. I'm pretty impressed with the taste and don't think I'd change the hops a bit unless there was a shortage on Nuggets or Magnums.

Why all the small amounts of different grains? Special B and Crystal 120 are not that different that such small amounts of each would be detectable would they? IMHO, they add just enough to give it some complexity and probably give that port-wine background flavor. I pulled a lot from three recipes that won some BOS in competitions and they all used small amounts of both. Adds color, too.

Any thing you would change?
Yes, just one. I will, in the future, brew 10 gallons instead of just five.:D

Just finished brewing this. The cooled wort was tasty. Hints of coffee, molasses and caramel from the 90 minute boil. I can't wait to taste the finished product. I substituted Simcoe and Millenium b/c thats all I could get.

did you get some crazy high efficiency? Putting this in beeralchemy i only get OG around 1.075 at 75% efficiency. Looks great though....i'm on the lookout for a really great high gravity porter/stout for the winter.

My OG was 1.083, FG 1.011. It was a really tasty beer hints of chocolate reminded me of rogue chocolate stout.

Latest posts

Back