Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Peated Porter (with heather tips; little hops)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 03:05 AM   #1
Aaron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Peated Porter (with heather tips; little hops)

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1728, Scottish Ale
Batch Size (Gallons): 3 gallons
Alcohol by Volume: 9%
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60 minutes
Color: dark brown
Primary Fermentation: 7 days
Secondary Fermentation: 5 days
Tasting Notes: Needs more bittering

This was one of my first attempts at a beer with little-to-no hops. I used heather tips instead of hops (mostly) to see how bittering the heather was. I could not find any good info online about the bitterness of heather tips, so I figured I would give it a go. I did use a half-ouncs of hops just in case the heatehr didn't provide the bitterness I wanted, so the beer would still be drinkable.

Grain:
8 lbs marris otter
4 oz crystal (60L)
4 oz peated malt
2 oz roasted barley
2 oz biscuit
1 oz black patent

Other:
4 oz dried heather tips (not fresh; from the bags in the homebrew store)

Hop Schedule:
0.5 oz Willamette (60 min)

I mashed at 148-154 deg for 90 minutes. Total boil time was 60 minutes and added 0.5 oz Irish moss at 15 minutes.

So how did it do? The heather did not bitter the beet nearly as well as I desired. It adds a bitterness like hot-brewed tea. The beer is too sweet because there isn't enough bitterness to balance it out. It was a good thing I added the half ounce of hops; it wouldn't be drinkable otherwise.

Bitterness aside, the grain bill made an awesome profile! It's nice and roasted, with a little bit of smoke. I am going to try this one again, but probably without the biscuit (personal preference) and more hops. I may try again with heather sometime.
heather-porter.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 12:15 AM   #2
crusader1612
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1728, Scottish Ale
Batch Size (Gallons): 3 gallons
Alcohol by Volume: 9%
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60 minutes
Color: dark brown
Primary Fermentation: 7 days
Secondary Fermentation: 5 days
Tasting Notes: Needs more bittering

This was one of my first attempts at a beer with little-to-no hops. I used heather tips instead of hops (mostly) to see how bittering the heather was. I could not find any good info online about the bitterness of heather tips, so I figured I would give it a go. I did use a half-ouncs of hops just in case the heatehr didn't provide the bitterness I wanted, so the beer would still be drinkable.

Grain:
8 lbs marris otter
4 oz crystal (60L)
4 oz peated malt
2 oz roasted barley
2 oz biscuit
1 oz black patent

Other:
4 oz dried heather tips (not fresh; from the bags in the homebrew store)

Hop Schedule:
0.5 oz Willamette (60 min)

I mashed at 148-154 deg for 90 minutes. Total boil time was 60 minutes and added 0.5 oz Irish moss at 15 minutes.

So how did it do? The heather did not bitter the beet nearly as well as I desired. It adds a bitterness like hot-brewed tea. The beer is too sweet because there isn't enough bitterness to balance it out. It was a good thing I added the half ounce of hops; it wouldn't be drinkable otherwise.

Bitterness aside, the grain bill made an awesome profile! It's nice and roasted, with a little bit of smoke. I am going to try this one again, but probably without the biscuit (personal preference) and more hops. I may try again with heather sometime.
wHAT KIND OF pEAT MALT DID YOU ADD??

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply