English Porter Old Town Porter (taddy porter clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freezeblade

Reaction score
My favorite robust porter is Tadcaster Porter, from Samuel Smith. I have been working for quite some time in duplicating that wonderful flavor of a savory pint of roasty-toasty goodness that is Taddy Porter. So without further ado, here is my transcription of tadcaster porter.

Batch size is 5.5 gallons. Eff% is 75% Mash temp is 155F for 60 mins

9# Marris Otter
1# English Crystal 55L
8oz Brown Malt
8oz UK Chocolate malt
4oz black patent malt
4oz Treacle (black strap molasses if you can't find treacle)

2oz EKGs(5.0%)@60
1oz Fuggles(4.5%)@0

Yeast: I am convinced that yeast makes a big difference in getting that awesome Samuel Smith taste, so for authenticity go for WLP037: "Yorkshire Square Ale" In lieu of that yeast (it's a seasonal one) go for any english strain that is very malt-focused and is pretty low on the fruit esters. Other good yeasts would be ringwood (WLP005, wy1187), wyeast west yorkshire (wy1469), or any other malty non-fruity english strain. (so no thames valley/burton ale yeasts) and ferment around 68F.

the taste is very close to Sam Smith's Taddy porter, coffee/dark chocolate/roasty flavors dominate, with a slight earthy bitterness from the fuggles. Full and rich, a great sipping beer. Enjoy.

I'd contest by just looking at the grain bill that this is probably not close to the Taddy porter. Looks like it'd make a fine beer, just not a Taddy. I say this because Taddy tastes like water to me; It's the guiness of porters.

Freeze, I'm glad you posted this. I've got an iteration of the Taddy Porter at 7 days into fermentation with the WLP037 strain. Recipe is out of Brewing Classic Styles which is similar to your recipe: 20% less crystal, 40% more brown, no black or treacle, and roughly half the hops (strange). When are you adding the treacle and do you notice it in the final product?

I decided to try another go at open fermentation, first attempt was on a bitter but have found little difference in a parallel closed fermentation (attenuation, overall character). I also tried a thick 1qt/lb mash thinking it is the more "English" way to do it.

My feelings on the yeast are that you need to keep it warm or it will quit on you, at least above 60-62F. It smells wonderful and flocs great, bitter was 'clear' in 8 days. I'm not convinced that the strain or how I'm handling it is key, though. However, my experience with it is lacking right now. I'd like to try a complete rousing/aeration schedule like the brewery does but I've got to get the cajones to do it. I might try it on a Nut Brown coming up. Have you gotten that hazelnut character pinned down yet?

When are you adding the treacle and do you notice it in the final product?

Have you gotten that hazelnut character pinned down yet?

Treacle is added in sometime mid-boil, if you're got a powerful boil going on it, then you'll caramelize it a bit more if the treacle is in there longer, but really, doesn't matter that much. imho.

I haven't done my Nut brown with this yeast yet, although it's on the list. Last one I did was with WLP026, and it was too fruity, I like it better with WLP005. My nut brown is patterned off of the SS Nut brown, so I'm really looking forward to trying WLP037 on it.

My favorite robust porter is Tadcaster Porter, from Samuel Smith. I have been working for quite some time in duplicating that wonderful flavor of a savory pint of roasty-toasty goodness that is Taddy Porter. So without further ado, here is my transcription of tadcaster porter.

Batch size is 5.5 gallons. Eff% is 75% Mash temp is 155F for 60 mins

9# Marris Otter
1# English Crystal 55L
8oz Brown Malt
8oz UK Chocolate malt
4oz black patent malt
4oz Treacle (black strap molasses if you can't find treacle)

2oz EKGs(5.0%)@60
1oz Fuggles(4.5%)@0

Yeast: I am convinced that yeast makes a big difference in getting that awesome Samuel Smith taste, so for authenticity go for WLP037: "Yorkshire Square Ale" In lieu of that yeast (it's a seasonal one) go for any english strain that is very malt-focused and is pretty low on the fruit esters. Other good yeasts would be ringwood (WLP005, wy1187), wyeast west yorkshire (wy1469), or any other malty non-fruity english strain. (so no thames valley/burton ale yeasts) and ferment around 68F.

the taste is very close to Sam Smith's Taddy porter, coffee/dark chocolate/roasty flavors dominate, with a slight earthy bitterness from the fuggles. Full and rich, a great sipping beer. Enjoy.

I find it helps to ferment a little lower with the WLP037... just not so low that it'll fall out of suspension. Try the mid-60's first. It will bring out more nuttiness. I have fermented with at 72F and it becomes extremely fruity like a bowl of ambrosia.

Sitting in my primary is a oatmeal porter. It's my first run around with oatmeal.

18# pale, 2# oat malt, 1# crystal 150, 1# pale chocolate, 1/2# roast barley, 1/2# black malt. (for 12.5 gallons)

Cane sugar in a TADDY PORTER? SS site says it has cane sugar. I have seen brown porters without its use. Jamils for example...9.5 # British pale, 1# brown malt, 1# crystal 40 and 10 oz of chocolate.

Back