Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Green Mountain Porter (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2010, 11:27 PM   #11
Kurtamous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Just brewed this beer and bottled it two nights ago - now its just the waiting game!

Not sure if you will be on here in time Pelikan, but I was curious what temperature did you condition the bottles at? I'm always having to brew at 76-78 Degrees (though I just set up a room with a portable AC which should be able to keep a lower constant temperature). and wanted to know what you had done. Thanks!

-Kurtamous

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2010, 04:53 AM   #12
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey,

I always get the auto-email things when people respond. Bottles were conditioned, if I recall, at about room temp for the first three weeks, then cellared (~58-65). So maybe 70-72 for the first few weeks, and a bit lower from there on out.

This one take a while to come into its prime; put them down for a bit before sampling if you can resist

On a brewing hiatus. Will get back into the fray eventually, methinks...

Old 10-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #13
Kurtamous
Recipes 

Hey thanks!

I'll work on getting the temperature down and try to forget about it for awhile - it smelled great coming out of the secondary so it should be solid! Thanks for the recipe!

-Kurtamous

Old 11-15-2010, 11:13 PM   #14
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Just sampled this recipe after 4 weeks in the primary, tasted a little sweet so I did a gravity reading, 1.020. I followed the recipe exactly so mashed at 150, I used two thermometers so I'm pretty sure that was dead on.

Think I should just go ahead with it or should I try and knock a couple points off?

Old 11-17-2010, 11:44 PM   #15
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Maybe try racking to a secondary and let it sit a few weeks. What were your temps during primary?

On a brewing hiatus. Will get back into the fray eventually, methinks...

Old 11-17-2010, 11:57 PM   #16
bovineblitz
Recipes 

I gave it a little swirl, hopefully that'll rouse the yeast.

My apartment has been in the low 70s and I've had a swamp cooler setup with a computer fan blowing air over it. For the first week I was rotating in a single 20oz water bottle from the freezer then after that I just let it sit, figuring most of the fermentation was done.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #17
Kurtamous
Recipes 

Ahh, Tried my batch at five weeks + 1 day (1 week in fridge). Excellent! I was worried that there might not be enough dextrose to carbonate the bottles (I added it a bit late), but no no, all is well! The gravity to was a bit lower than was hoped (1.055 - 1.018 at final), perhaps the mash was too low (153*) or boiled off too much wort (my notes look fine though); a bit less alcohol, but no matter!

Smells, tastes, and feels very much like your description Pelikan. I am impressed! I'll keep the rest of them untouched (as possible =D) until 2 months (two weeks from now) to check the progression, but it already is an excellent porter. Chocolatey aromas and toasted malt flavors contrasted with the caramel sweetness makes this a grand ole drink for the winter months.

Thanks for the recipe!

Old 01-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #18
Jcoz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hello, I was looking to try this, but I was wondering about how much yeast to pitch, I thought starters were not recommended for dry yeast?

You say a stir plate is recommended or just use 2 smack packs? Do you mean a starter is recommended or use 2 smack packs?

Sorry, extremely new to brewing so I just want to pitch the right amount.

Thanks in advance

Also, what temp did you ferment at? Kind of a wide range stated for the yeast....

Last edited by Jcoz; 01-10-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #19
bovineblitz
Recipes 

My batch of this is 3/4 gone, it is delicious! Mine ended up slightly sweeter than I like at 1.020 but it wasn't much of a detriment, the caramel and roast worked well with the bit of sweetness. It's firmly roasty, in my mind it embodies what a robust stout should be.

A family friend of mine said it's the best porter he's ever had, and he loves porters so much he named his dog Porter. Thanks for the recipe! It'd definitely going to be a mainstay for my pipeline

Jcoz - the yeast recommended is a liquid yeast. And yeah either make a starter or use two smack packs (i did a starter). I fermented mine at about 66-68. From what I hear about this yeast, 64-66 ferments pretty cleanly and 66-70 gives you a bit of fruitiness. IMO, this beer can handle a decent range, just keep it below 70 (that's often my goal seeing as how I don't have great temp control)... I'm sure Pelikan has more strict control and can give you a more exact answer.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #20
Jcoz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovineblitz View Post
My batch of this is 3/4 gone, it is delicious! Mine ended up slightly sweeter than I like at 1.020 but it wasn't much of a detriment, the caramel and roast worked well with the bit of sweetness. It's firmly roasty, in my mind it embodies what a robust stout should be.

A family friend of mine said it's the best porter he's ever had, and he loves porters so much he named his dog Porter. Thanks for the recipe! It'd definitely going to be a mainstay for my pipeline

Jcoz - the yeast recommended is a liquid yeast. And yeah either make a starter or use two smack packs (i did a starter). I fermented mine at about 66-68. From what I hear about this yeast, 64-66 ferments pretty cleanly and 66-70 gives you a bit of fruitiness. IMO, this beer can handle a decent range, just keep it below 70 (that's often my goal seeing as how I don't have great temp control)... I'm sure Pelikan has more strict control and can give you a more exact answer.
Thanks....you can see how much of a newbie I am, I didn't realize that Wyeast or smackpacks were liquid yeasts.

From the pic it looks like a dry pack, lol.

Quick Reply