Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #41
SD-SLIM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewertodd
Sorry for the dumb question, but could someone tell me how to convert the aau's to oz's for the hops? Not sure how to do this, and I really want to try this recipe.
It's simple, take the aau's of your hops (which is give per ounce) and add until you get to the aau's of the beer. Example is your hops were 4.5 aau and the recipe called for 9 aau, that means you would need 2 ounces.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #42
Jkenward
Recipes 

New brewer question...If I only have capacity for a 5 gallon batch, could I make this recipe even though its formulated for 5.25 gallons? I assume it would raise the og, and concentrate the flavors a bit making it different from the original, but would it still make an acceptable beer?

Old 11-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #43
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkenward
New brewer question...If I only have capacity for a 5 gallon batch, could I make this recipe even though its formulated for 5.25 gallons? I assume it would raise the og, and concentrate the flavors a bit making it different from the original, but would it still make an acceptable beer?
Most fermentors are 6 gallons, however secondary fermentors can be 5....the reason why fermenters are 6 is that their is a air gap needed during primary fermentation....my point in all of this, is that if you have a 5 gallon fermentor, then you can only brew 4 to 4.25 gallons at a time.
So yes you could make this recipe, just divide quantities by the number of gallons, then multiply by the number of gallons you plan to brew....example: beer recipe calls for 10 pounds of two row for a 5 gallon batch, that is 2lbs per gallon...I want to make 4 gallons, so that equals 8.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #44
Jkenward
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-SLIM

Most fermentors are 6 gallons, however secondary fermentors can be 5....the reason why fermenters are 6 is that their is a air gap needed during primary fermentation....my point in all of this, is that if you have a 5 gallon fermentor, then you can only brew 4 to 4.25 gallons at a time.
So yes you could make this recipe, just divide quantities by the number of gallons, then multiply by the number of gallons you plan to brew....example: beer recipe calls for 10 pounds of two row for a 5 gallon batch, that is 2lbs per gallon...I want to make 4 gallons, so that equals 8.
Well, I do have a 6 gallon bucket fermentor and a 5 gallon carboy. Does a 6 gallon bucket have enough head for a 5.25 g in primary? I suppose I could use a gallon jug for an extra secondary ...or skip the secondary altogether. Thoughts?

Old 11-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #45
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkenward

Well, I do have a 6 gallon bucket fermentor and a 5 gallon carboy. Does a 6 gallon bucket have enough head for a 5.25 g in primary? I suppose I could use a gallon jug for an extra secondary ...or skip the secondary altogether. Thoughts?
6 gallon bucket will work fine for 5.25. In regards to a secondary...I only use them when age a beer or when the recipe calls for fresh fruit...other than that I never use a secondary and always have amazingly clear beers....the science behind not using a secondary is this: beer starts fermenting within 24 hours of adding yeast, depending on the type of beer/yeast it will go in to a vigorous fermentation that may last anywhere from 2 days to 11 days...after that is complete, the yeast will start eating by products from the vigorous fermentation, and while very little noticeable action can be seen, the yeast are still working...after a total of three weeks you have amazingly clear beer....now if you remove your beer from the yeast, you are limiting the yeast cells that will actually clean up the beer. The older books called for secondary fermentation, but even John Palmer has backed away from that now.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #46
Helly
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have this in the keg right now. I haven't done a side by side yet but I'm pretty sure mine won't match the original due to a number of reasons (grain wasn't fresh because I waited too long to brew, I didn't hit SG figure, I messed with hop schedule a bit). It's definitely lighter in color than it should be. Nevertheless I am happy with this brew and I expect it to go fast this week while celebrating the holidays with family and friends. It has a very nice roasty, malty flavor but it's not overpowering. Can't wait to share it. Cheers.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #47
Helly

Recipes 

After letting it sit and carb up properly, this is really good. Definitely will be in the regular winter rotation. Still some left in the keg but I shared a lot with family and friends over Christmas. I hope to do a side by side with the original yet and I'll post a pic this week.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #48
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helly View Post
After letting it sit and carb up properly, this is really good. Definitely will be in the regular winter rotation. Still some left in the keg but I shared a lot with family and friends over Christmas. I hope to do a side by side with the original yet and I'll post a pic this week.
Glad it turned out good!

Old 12-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #49
Helly

Recipes 

Here it is side by side. Color is pretty similar. The head on the original comes out a caramel color while mine has more of a pale head. In terms of taste, mine is definitely malt forward while the original has more hoppiness to it. This part, however, is likely due to me messing with the recipe versus the OP's recipe. I'm guessing he's nearly spot on since I scaled it back about 15-20%. In any event thanks for sharing the recipe and for letting me share my version. SWMBO is really enjoying it too.

image-2754617871.jpg

Old 01-05-2013, 12:40 AM   #50
Helly

Recipes 

I've been sick all week but I just had a sip of SWMBO's draft. This beer just keeps improving. The flavors are developing and there's more depth to it. Thanks again for the recipe, I love this one.

Quick Reply