English Porter Dirty Water Brews Porter Square

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulthenurse

Fecal Transplant Super Donor
Reaction score
Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
30.9 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days a 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 65
11 lbs of Marris Otter
.75 lb Chocolate Malt
.75 lb Crystal 120
.25 Black Patent
.25 Victory

1.75 ounces of Fuggles for 60 minutes.

Irish Moss if you remember it, I forget about half the time.

Single infusion mash at 153 degrees for 60 minutes. Mash in with 4.25 gallons of strike water. Sparge to collect a total volume of 6.25 gallons. Add 1.75 oz of Fuggles to the boil for 60 minutes, boil down to a finished volume of 5.25 gallons. Cool, aerate and pitch a 5 gram packet of Nottingham yeast. Expect a pretty vigorous fermentation, I ferment in a 6.5 gallon carboy, and it finishes fast. Leave it in the carboy for a week and then rack to secondary for an additional 2 weeks.

I sometimes add 2 cups of brewed espresso to the keg with this. It's a great combination.

Last edited by a moderator:
I"m gonna give this a shot. We probably have the same LHBS, right outside porter square in cambridge!

i know, im waking up a dead thread, but i have had this beer and its pretty good. my wife even likes it and she dosent like darker beers.

I'm goin to make this porter soon, I hope. When I make my espresso porters, I 'dry hop' the secondary for 14 days with 3.5 to 4 oz of fresh-ground espresso beans - works for me! Gives me a huge coffee flavor, behind the traditional porter taste.

Just wasn't sure if you found one better than the other. But then again, you will drink bog water, so you can't be too discriminating.

Back