Damn Fine! Porter (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chriso

Broken Robot Brewing Co.
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1318 London Ale III
Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 68F
Mash:
6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
1 lbs Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)
1.0 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer

Mash in with 2.25 gal water at 150ºF, holding at 133ºF step temp for 20 min.
Add 1.65 gal at 191ºF to raise mash to 154ºF for 55 min. (Iodine conversion test may be necessary.)

Drain into kettle and batch sparge with 4.75 gal at 168ºF.

Boil 90 min with the following additions:
0.75 oz Galena [13.00 %] (60 min)
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (15 min)
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min)

Cool, collect, take readings and pitch. Carbed in bottles with dark brown sugar, boiled in water. Age at least 1 month before drinking.

It was lovely! Especially considering I brewed it before I even had a *clue* about recipe formulation.

I am pretty sure that I gave the last couple bottles to the friend whom I brewed this for -- but I will have to dig out my crates of homebrew storage and see if I have any bottles left.

Fair warning, using 2# of Cara Pils gives you WICKED head retention. :p And I assume most "sane" people would dial the Honey Malt back to 0.25# - 0.5# as it is reportedly sweet and cloying. Maybe it's just a flavor I'm not particularly sensitive to, as I've never noticed it to be cloying. *shrug*

cloying is surely a strange descriptive term, one I'm not likely to employ for most folks.

i took some tidbits from your recipe and a few others and smoothed them out alongside a classic robust porter formula. then i added some vanilla and bourbon and am currently bulk aging on some french oak. my only hitch came when my third generation of Wyeast Denny's Favorite clunked out on me at a gravity of about 40, so I had to pitch some US-05 to finish the job. I need to get this off the oak and bottled soon.

I'll check out the Lincoln Lagers site. I had heard of them before, but have never ventured to find out much more about the local brewing scene.

Back