Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Coconut Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewurzel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Coconut Porter
Brewer: Julian Davis
Asst Brewer:
Style: Robust Porter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Boil Size: 11.45 gal
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 40.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 44.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
16.92 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 80.00 %
3.08 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 14.55 %
1.15 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 5.45 %
2.76 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 40.3 IBU
1.38 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
28.00 oz Coconut Toasted (Secondary 14.0 days) Misc
4 Pkgs London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 21.15 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 26.45 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F

Notes:
------
Primary 2 weeks
secondary 2 weeks

I used Unsweetened organic flaked coconut. Bought from Whole foods Market
I toasted the coconut in oven at 325 degrees for 20-25 min. Till golden brown
added lose to secondary for 14 days.

Lost 1.5- 2 gallons of beer to trub in secondary next time maybe use bag to be able to drain out before racking

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This recipe is turned out real well
went down really well at local home brew club meeting

This beer did turn out great
Has a nice deep color
With a nice chocolate / Toasted coconut aroma
Tastes like a bit like a almond joy bar, it has a nutty flavor and roasted notes, the coconut is a nice flavor on the back end.
The toasting of the coconut brings out a nice roasted toasted flavor which is not overpowering and adds to the great balance of flavors.
I was surprised that it also brought out a great chocolaty aroma and flavor

I am modifying my brew rig these days and this one is right up there as a first brew after fine tuning :)

So I just finished bottling this recipe today and have to say that I am really excited about it. The sample I tasted was amazing, there was a great chocolate nose and the toasted coconut really comes through in the finish. I ended up using about 24oz of toasted coconut in my 5.5 gallon batch (almost double the original) and I think the amount of coconut aroma/flavor was perfect.

Also I didn't notice much loss due to the coconut absorbing the beer like the original poster, was happy to see that :rockin:

I'll post up results after it has sat in the bottles for a while.

Have you guys noticed the coconut flavor and aroma weakening over time? I had this coconut porter in keg for 6 weeks and the coconut flavor is all but gone.
Just wondering what others experiences are.

Have you guys noticed the coconut flavor and aroma weakening over time? I had this coconut porter in keg for 6 weeks and the coconut flavor is all but gone.
Just wondering what others experiences are.

I made 10 gallons of this and drank the first keg then let the other sit for a while while I served another beer in between.
Even after a few months in a keg it still had a good coconut aroma and taste but it was defiantly weaker than when it was fresh.

We are making a coconut porter and just added the coconut into secondary last night. We toasted it at 350 for about 20 minutes then dumped it into muslin bags weighted down by santized marbles. We didn't think of this until after the fact but do you think we will lose much of the beer volume as it will get saturated by the bag and the coconut? Thanks!

I just brewed this one about a month or two ago and I maybe lost about a pint or two to the coconut absorbtion. Didn't get much coconut flavor in mine but the overall taste is awesome. By the way good going by putting it in a bag I just threw my coconut in lose and had major clogging issues with the transfer to the keg. Hope you enjoy it cheers.

The bag is a good idea next time i brew this I will be using a bag
I would try to hang the bag from the top while siphoning to drain bag as much as possible.

Hey I'm brewing this beer and I am unsure if you pitched all the yeast at one or if you added some to the secondary fermenter

Did u add all the yeast at once or did you add half to the secondary fermenter

You Pitch all the yeast after wort has cooled to 60-68 F
you only need to add the coconut to the secondary fermentor

There is hardly ever any need to add yeast to secondary fermentation
Yeast multiply during the primary fermentation then die off or drop out of suspension as there job is done or with time.

Was talking with a co-worker last night, about coconut beers, figured I'd search this site, and of course HBT came through AGAIN! I'm gonna give this one a whirl!

what was the FG on this after 2 weeks? Has anyone had success with coconut in the mash?

Rather new to brewing...For a 5 gallon batch would I just cut the ingredients in half (grains/hops/yeast/moss/coconut etc) and follow protocol for grains/water ratio? I really want to give this a go but only have a 10 gal kettle.

Thanks for your help!

That's what I ended up buying.

Brewing this next weekend. Good timing, because one of my 3 kegs is down to the last pint or so... :)

Did you find that any of the 'sugars' from the coconut caused any additional fermentation?

kellzey said:
Did you find that any of the 'sugars' from the coconut caused any additional fermentation?

I made one it was overcarbonated using 5oz table sugar, wouldn't do more than 4.

Thanks... I guess I should be more clear.... adding the sweetened coconut in the secondary... did it cause some additional fermentation activity to resume. I'm wondering if the sugars would leech out into the fermented beer and cause a little more fermentation to occur. I think it would be negligible though.

I used unsweetened coconut in secondary and didn't see any additional fermentation

if using sweetened I would assume there would be a little additional fermentation if the coconut is added to the secondary.

Guess I was just giving you an unrelated heads up on carbonation. Mine finished around 1.028 though, may not be an issue if you end lower.

What would be the recipe for a 5 gallon batch of this?

8 lbs 7.4 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.0 %
1 lbs 8.6 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2 14.5 %
9.2 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.5 %
1.33 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 44.3 IBUs
1tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 5 -
0.66 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 4.7 IBUs
1 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [35.00 ml] Yeast 7 -
14.00 oz Coconut Toasted (Secondary 14.0 days)

I make a similar porter, and usually put 14oz in secondary(as well as 1 whole vanilla bean) and 7oz in the keg.mmmmmm

I'm pretty new to brewing...just did a few clone recipe kits AG....When I read about recipes on here, should I assume that people are making yeast starters? It seems that almost everyone is making starters when i read posts in the yeast/fermentation forum. For this recipe, was a starter used?

I'm pretty new to brewing...just did a few clone recipe kits AG....When I read about recipes on here, should I assume that people are making yeast starters? It seems that almost everyone is making starters when i read posts in the yeast/fermentation forum. For this recipe, was a starter used?

Due to this being a 10 gallon recipe I did use a yeast starter for this. I would use just 1 pack and bring up the yeast count on a stir plate.
if you are scaling it down to 5 gallons you may get away with out one I would check. with a yeast calculator like in Beersmith or there are some free ones online.
yeast starters are not always required for 5 gallon batches. but most people recommend them.
but they defiantly needed for higher gravity beers.
As far as I know you shouldn't do yeast starters with dry yeast., just add the amount of packs that are required.

Going to make this later today. I'll take pictures and add them. Here is my recipe for a 5g batch.

9 lbs 2-row
2 lb chocolate
1 lb special B (in replace of crystal)

1 oz (various leftover hops).. about 8%

WLP002 1 L starter

20 oz toasted coconut & 2 vanilla beans in secondary

I brewed this and added coconut to the mash, the boil and the secondary. The coconut was slightly toastted(golden). I didnt want it geting roasty. It turned out great. I did a 5 gallon version. Every one loved it.

Latest posts

Back