Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Coal Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2010, 01:59 AM   #11
jfr1111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Drinking my first bottle of this and all I can say is WOW.

Floral nose with hints of citrus (probably from the Cascade), roasted malts and caramel. Pours a very, very dark brown (almost black) with an off white creamy head that sticks around. Taste of pineapple, caramel, malt and a subdued, elegant roast character that is complimentary. Mouthfeel is decent, but it could have been carbed a touch more (will probably alleviate itself with longer bottle conditionning). Going through my notes, I see that I added the Cascade (wich was the Amarillo sub) at the end... Happy mistake.

Great beer. If anyone is on the fence about brewing this, please don't hesitate ! Next time I'll use an English yeast such as 1469 or S-04 and ferment a bit higher to have more esters. I can also see myself upping the finishing hops, but not by much.

EDIT: The beer seems to have picked up whatever carbonation it was missing and is simply delicious. A testament to that fact is the dwindling number of bottles I have left: a measly 15 bombers... A sure rebrew along with your mild. I might try it with the hops reversed (your version), but I'm digging the Cascade taste/aroma.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #12
anchorandoak
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am going to brew this as an homage to this now closed Brewpub! I used to drive past it all the time before I was "of-age" and never had a chance to check it out! This area needs a brewpub. I can't believe this one closed before I was even old enough to enjoy it. The name of the beer is fitting, for sure.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:27 AM   #13
JNye
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I brewed this on New Year's day, just tried the hydrometer sample and I have to say, I have never drank a sample(warm and flat) like an addict, I just wanted more. Can't wait to get it transfered and on some gas.

I made quite a few changes based on what I had but its basically the same and definitely a solid recipe. Thanks.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:57 AM   #14
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 83

brewing this on friday! my first un-SMaSH all grain! woot woot

Kegged Oktoberfest - Schwarzbier - Pale Mild
Coming up Cream ale - Bitter - Nelson Sauvin honey Blonde - Porter

Electric 120v Brutus 20

Quote:
Homebrewers are like drunk Rembrandt's... Painting the world with liquid love
Quote:
If you're getting into this hobby to save money... you have a great sense of humor

Old 02-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #15
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm planning to make something similar to this recipe, the only thing is I wasn't going to use brown sugar(what taste does this contribute?) But I was considering also using 1oz of roasted barley and 1/2 lb of flaked oats. How do you think this addtn will turn out? Also was just going to use Williamette for finishing, but wouldn't mind using an American hop. Is this your preference?

Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

Old 03-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #16
Rivenin
Recipes 

wilamette is american... lol

I had a sample of this when bottling.. wowza!
also i added a bottle of hazelnut extract, which made it even more awesome!

great job on the recipe

Electric 120v Brutus 20

Quote:
Quote:
If you're getting into this hobby to save money... you have a great sense of humor

Old 03-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #17
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivenin View Post
wilamette is american... lol

I had a sample of this when bottling.. wowza!
also i added a bottle of hazelnut extract, which made it even more awesome!

great job on the recipe
Tu shey I guess I was implying more of the C style hops. I definitely did think it was of the English variety though. Maybe because its usually in English style beers?
Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

Old 03-04-2011, 03:11 AM   #18
Rivenin
Recipes 

Prolly is why But wilamette valley is where they came from over here in the pacific northwest (pronounced will-lam-it)

Electric 120v Brutus 20

Quote:
Quote:

Old 03-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #19
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapa View Post
I'm planning to make something similar to this recipe, the only thing is I wasn't going to use brown sugar(what taste does this contribute?) But I was considering also using 1oz of roasted barley and 1/2 lb of flaked oats. How do you think this addtn will turn out? Also was just going to use Williamette for finishing, but wouldn't mind using an American hop. Is this your preference?
Chapa,

Brown sugar isn't really in there for flavor; it's there to boost the gravity a touch and contribute to a drier character. I often add a bit of sugar to tweak the gravity to exactly where I want it, and prefer a dry finish to make the beer "more-ish" (in the words of the late, lamented MJ).

I'd omit the Roasted Barley; you'll get plenty of Porter-y color from the grains specified, and 1 oz is really only going to provide a deep red color. I often advocate adding an ounce of RB to Red and Amber beers for color only.

An addition of Flaked Oats to the grist can be worthwhile. Keep in mind you must mash them; steeping flaked grains does nothing other than make glop.

I like Willamette. I'm a huge fan of the variety and keep it on hand. That said, many have used other varieties for finishing and had excellent results. Cascades seem to come through nicely, and they're a distinctly American variety; Willamette, being a Fuggle cultivar, is more English than American to the drinker's palate. I've also used Hallertau, Goldings and Saaz to finish Coal Porter, and enjoyed every variation.

Cheers!

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 07-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #20
wittmania
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Planning on brewing this on Thursday. I've never used any sugars like this... when do you add the brown sugar to the kettle? I'm assuming you can add it at any point between collecting the first runnings and the start of the boil, but I find myself wondering if a late addition (45 min.?) would be a better idea. Has anyone tried this?

Quick Reply