Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Choconut Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008, 07:07 AM   #1
explosivebeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Choconut Porter

Recipe Type: Extract

Ingredients:
8 lbs Dark LME
18 oz Chocolate Malt
18 oz Caramel Malt 80L
1 oz Northern Brewer hops (7.5% AA) for bittering
1 oz Perle hops (7.2% AA) for aroma
8 oz Ghiradelli unsweetened cocoa (by volume)
2 oz Hazelnut flavoring
California V Ale Yeast (WLP051)

Instructions
Bring two gallons of water to 160*f, turn off the heat, and steep the milled grains for 20+ minutes. Remove the grains and discard. Bring the grain tea to a boil, turn off the heat, and stir in the malt extract until completely dissolved. Return to a boil and add the bittering hops. Boil for 60 minutes, adding the chocolate powder five minutes before the end of boil and the aroma hops at flame out. Cool to 70*f, top off to five gallons, and pitch yeast. (I carefully poured the hot wort onto two gallons of ice that I'd previously frozen, which brought the temperature down below 70*f almost instantaneously; watch for splashes!).

Ferment at 70-72*f for 10-14 days, until the gravity readings have stopped dropping. Transfer to a keg or your bottling bucket and add the hazelnut extract. Let it condition for two or three weeks and you should have some very tasty brew on your hands!

The Result
I haven't plugged this recipe into a brewing program but my batch ended up being 5.2% ABV. It turned out very creamy and smooth, with good but not overpowering elements of chocolate and hazelnut to go along with the caramel malts. It was definitely a crowd pleaser. I'll definitely be brewing this one again.

Here's the all-grain version. Round as you see fit. Any American or British yeast can be used to good effect. I reduced the amount of extract from 2 oz to 1 oz since the more I use it, the more sensitive I get to it.
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Choconut Porter All Grain
Style: Robust Porter
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 40.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.52 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.1 %
1.41 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 12.4 %
1.41 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 12.4 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [7.50%] (60 min) Hops 25.4 IBU
1.00 oz Pearle [8.00%] (5 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
1.00 oz Hazelnut Extract (Bottling 5.0 min) Misc
8.00 oz Cocoa, Unsweetened (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale V (White Labs #WLP051) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 11.34 lb

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."
-Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by explosivebeer; 01-20-2010 at 04:04 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 07:00 PM   #2
toasted
Recipes 

No secondary fermentation?

Old 12-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
explosivebeer
Recipes 

I rarely do secondaries, especially for darker beers. And in fact, I'm usually leaving them in primary for 3-4 weeks now to let the yeast clean up after themselves. Good luck if you try this recipe. Let us know how it turns out.

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."
-Abraham Lincoln

Old 12-05-2008, 07:39 PM   #4
Opherman47
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

yah i only primary all my stuff, for like 4 to 5 weeks turns out great

Old 03-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #5
Myrdhyn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewing this one today, sounds delicious.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:52 AM   #6
explosivebeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrdhyn View Post
Brewing this one today, sounds delicious.
Great to hear. I need to brew it again myself. I hope it turns out as well for you as it has for me.

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 03-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #7
Myrdhyn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One question, did you end up with a rediculously high OG? I ended up with something like 1.0750 temperature corrected. Maybe I should have checked OG before adding the cocoa? I know my hydrometer is fairly accurate b/c it reads right at 1.000 for distilled water temperature corrected.

Also, this one took off FAST, in just about 2 hours I had airlock activity and it continues to bubble away nicely today.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #8
explosivebeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrdhyn View Post
One question, did you end up with a rediculously high OG? I ended up with something like 1.0750 temperature corrected. Maybe I should have checked OG before adding the cocoa? I know my hydrometer is fairly accurate b/c it reads right at 1.000 for distilled water temperature corrected.

Also, this one took off FAST, in just about 2 hours I had airlock activity and it continues to bubble away nicely today.
I'll have to take a look at my notes when I get home since it's been a year since I brewed it. I don't think the cocoa should affect the gravity since there isn't any sugar in it. I'll let you know when I dig up my notes.

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 03-09-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
Myrdhyn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Anything that increases the specific gravity, i.e. density of the liquid should increase the reading. Salt would do it for example (you use a hydrometer to measure salt in solution for a saltwater fish tank). I just assumed dissolving/boiling something else in there would do it also. I'll be interested to hear your notes though, and I'll try to remember to post up what my FG when this get's done fermenting.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:40 AM   #10
explosivebeer
Recipes 

So it looks like my OG was 1.060. Since most of the sugars are coming from the LME, the most likely thing that would skew the OG is what volume you ended up at. I was up around 5.75-6 gallons. If you had a lower volume and ended up at 1.075, all the better.

-Abraham Lincoln

Quick Reply