Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Chocolate Oatmeal Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 01:02 AM   #81
birtsbrew21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hey all i just brewed an 11 gallon batch of this just wanted to check it. looked like motor oil coming out of my mash tun. GREAT!! can't wait for this to be ready. My S.G was 1.058 so i was pretty close to the recipe specs. here are two pics from my brew day, little close to the top of my kettle but i had a nice slow rolling boil so it was all good!

2013-02-16_15-34-20_593.jpg   2013-02-16_16-26-35_348.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #82
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Looks good to me!!

I still have a bit of this on tap and man it's holding up well.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 03-04-2013, 02:14 AM   #83
Loodachris
12th man loud and proud!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have been looking for a good Coffee Chocolate Vanilla Porter recipe for a while and I think I will use this as a base for my next brew. Is there a place that sells the Dutch Cocoa powder somewhat cheap or should I just use the Hersheys type? Is there a difference? I found a seller on Ebay that does 2oz packages for $3.00 but I don't know if there is a difference in taste vs the Hersheys

Old 03-04-2013, 02:14 AM   #84
meck1842
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just did this BIAB for my first go around at an all grain attempt. My OG was pretty low at 1.050. I added closer to 4 oz. of cocoa powder as I wanted it to be pretty high on chocolate flavor. Also, I mashed pretty high at 155-156 with a 170 degree mash out. It was really thick going into the fermenter, but I'm hoping that it will thin out a touch over fermentation. Hopefully it turns out well.

Also, as a warning to those using a kettle with a SS braid or similar filter, cocoa makes it nearly impossible to drain. My braid got so messy with cocoa that it wouldn't drain at all, so I ended up just taking it off and draining without filtering (I use hop socks so it wasn't terrible).

Old 03-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #85
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loodachris View Post
I have been looking for a good Coffee Chocolate Vanilla Porter recipe for a while and I think I will use this as a base for my next brew. Is there a place that sells the Dutch Cocoa powder somewhat cheap or should I just use the Hersheys type? Is there a difference? I found a seller on Ebay that does 2oz packages for $3.00 but I don't know if there is a difference in taste vs the Hersheys
Not really sure. I try and use the highest quality or something that is a favorite in my beers. Small batch anyways, the extra money for ingredients isn't going to kill me.

I've used the stuff from the LHBS before in a pinch and it was fine. I'm sure the hersheys will works just as well if you like it.

My favorite is some stuff in a can from Whole Foods, I'm out of it currently, so I can't pass the name along.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 03-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #86
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meck1842 View Post
I just did this BIAB for my first go around at an all grain attempt. My OG was pretty low at 1.050. I added closer to 4 oz. of cocoa powder as I wanted it to be pretty high on chocolate flavor. Also, I mashed pretty high at 155-156 with a 170 degree mash out. It was really thick going into the fermenter, but I'm hoping that it will thin out a touch over fermentation. Hopefully it turns out well.

Also, as a warning to those using a kettle with a SS braid or similar filter, cocoa makes it nearly impossible to drain. My braid got so messy with cocoa that it wouldn't drain at all, so I ended up just taking it off and draining without filtering (I use hop socks so it wasn't terrible).
Good note on the cocoa. I don't have a filter on my kettle, as I use a SS hop spider.

What little hops are in this recipe, coupled with the cocoa, all of it could go into the fermenter and you'd really have so very little in the bottom.

I've never brewed in a bag before, but this recipe will have a good rich mouthfeel to it, but it won't be like a beer milkshake!

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 03-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #87
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Brewing another batch of this up this weekend. Gonna continue to tweak it a bit. Pretty sure the changes will be good!

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 03-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #88
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Mashing in now on this.

Same recipe I posted in the 1st post, except I removed the Black Patent malt, and instead decided to use 4oz of Debittered Black Malt.

Used English Chocolate malt, and Pale Chocolate malt in it as well. Just clarify for those searching for specific Chocolate Malts.

Going to add 3oz of some great chocolate powder at 20 minutes, debating adding peanut butter powder to the boil, and then adding some to secondary and racking on some broken peanut butter cups for a couple of days as fermentation is ending...

Maybe a #1 of peanut butter... Have a nice Oatmeal Chocolate Peanut butter Porter for the spring!

Mmm.. Good smelling mash!

Draining the tun. Motor oil goodness!

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 03-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #89
nghtmre4u
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Last time I made this I added 1/2 pound honey malt and it added a great taste I compared to bottle of original recipe and its a nice touch. The peanut butter sounds great

On Tap: Edwort's Hause Ale, Circle City Haus Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Wheat, Centennial Blonde
Fermenting: Rat Dawg Pale Ale, American Lager, Jamils Blonde
On Deck: Edwort's Bavarian Hefeweizen, Biermuncher's Your WIT-ness" Belgian wit

Old 03-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #90
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nghtmre4u View Post
Last time I made this I added 1/2 pound honey malt and it added a great taste I compared to bottle of original recipe and its a nice touch. The peanut butter sounds great
Wow, thats alot of honey malt!

I'm gonna do .5# of peanut butter with 3 oz of chocolate powder to the boil. Skip the vanilla bean this go around, and dry hop it with Reese PB Cups near the end of primary next week.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Quick Reply