Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Chocolate Oatmeal Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 02:13 AM   #21
thedevanzoshift
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

this will be my first attempt at an AG porter aswell. Won't be able to brew until a week from saturday, but will update thread with my results. might swap the vanilla beans for extract because well... im a lazy man.

id love to hear about that cherry addition though from one of the early posters

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 02:24 AM   #22
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Try the vanilla beans. If you want to source some cheaper ones, try some online sites. I bought some beans for $25 shipped for 25 of them. I paid almost $4 bucks each.

Extract would work though, so I'm not completely talking you out of it, I just like the natural route.

It's a good first AG recipe I think. It's dark, so you don't have to worry about super clarity, it's got a silky smooth taste to it, and it's not overly hopped and bitter, but it's balanced. I'm partial to it, so brew it and let me know. I'm excited to see what people change or experiment with, so I can try it as well.

US-04 would work great in here if you like dry yeast as well. I think the slight fruity esters will work nicely, even a nice Irish Ale yeast would be good I think.

You want to leave some residual sugars in there, it needs to slight sweetness to it, to balance the roast.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 11-06-2012, 02:26 AM   #23
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nduetime View Post
Thanks...I'll take the nibs route!

This is my first attempt at a porter. Have never really enjoyed them before but as the years of homebrewing passes my palette has most certainly changed. And that is really exciting.

The wort tasted amazing. I could certainly pick up the chocolate even without the cocoa.

While trying a new style I also tried a new technique. After collecting my pre-boil volume I added another gallon of wate to the mash and held there for about 20-30 minutes, collected the second runnings and simultaneously brewed another batch using different hops. I had wanted to try this technique for some time and since I had left over hops that I needed to get rid of I decide it would be a good time to try it. I used centennial and saaz hops. Im not really sure how the hop combination will play out, especially with a porter, but I figured what do I have to loose? I also pitched us-04 yeast. If it doesn't turn out well I at least still have the original recipe that I'm sure to enjoy.

Thanks again!
Sounds fun!

Let me know how the nibs turn out. I use them in some of my large stouts to add more chocolate aroma and bittersweet taste to them. I think it would be really nice in this recipe, but haven't actually done it!

It's a very neutral smooth porter that I think works well to add extra adjuncts and flavor to.. Fruits even, perhaps!

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 11-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #24
Brewsef
Recipes 

Making this tomorrow! Pretty stoked. Going to modify a few small things, but looks like a great recipe. Sticking to about 95% of the ingredients and grabbed some fresh vanilla beans today. Hoping to hand it out on Christmas to my friends & family. Growlers for all!

Old 11-08-2012, 01:58 AM   #25
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Awesome, be sure to let us know how it turned out.

I'm planning on brewing another batch of this in the next week or two myself.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 11-11-2012, 02:31 AM   #26
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Just put together some stuff to re brew this in the next 2 weeks.

Subbed out some German Pale, for some Maris Otter to get a bit more biscuity flavor in there. Raised the oats up a half pound, added another .25 lb of crystal, and added a .5lb of pale chocolate malt to it.

Plan to add the same 2oz of dutch cocoa powder to it still, going for more chocolate, with the belgian chocolate and the pale chocolate malt in there. Kept the black patent the same, thought about dropping it back, but figured the sweetness I added, I'd need the roast.

Plan to toast the oats before I add them to see what that adds as well.

Kept the London ESB yeast as I like the way it attenuated and left some residual sweet malty flavor to it.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 11-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #27
Serialk1llr
Recipes 

Hey FATC1TY, I just put this to bottles today. I too used .5lb of chocolate chocolate malt. if this is half as good as I expect it to be, its gonna be great. My final gravity was spot on as well. I have high hopes for this beer. Thanks for posting the recipe!!!

-I drink therefore I am.

Beer #1: Graham Cracker Porter - Epic...failure.
Beer #2: Chocolate Oatmeal Porter - Bottled. Tastes is amazing!
Beer #3: No-boil Munton's Gold IPA - I pray the dry hop helps it
Beer #4: Lambic - on deck

Old 11-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #28
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serialk1llr View Post
Hey FATC1TY, I just put this to bottles today. I too used .5lb of chocolate chocolate malt. if this is half as good as I expect it to be, its gonna be great. My final gravity was spot on as well. I have high hopes for this beer. Thanks for posting the recipe!!!
Awesome!

When it carbs up, pour one and let us know what you think.

I'm thinking about brewing this next weekend, and will get my starter going on Wednesday I think.

Decided to play with it and try and make it even better.

I started splitting my chocolate malt in the darker beers with two different kinds. Pale and Belgian. Seems to give it that more milky chocolate flavor in the malt bill. The powder just takes it slightly over the edge and bring it into the aroma dept!

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 11-13-2012, 01:45 AM   #29
nghtmre4u
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just tasted my hydro sample all I can say is wow i can't wait till this one is done :-)

On Tap: Edwort's Hause Ale, Circle City Haus Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Wheat, Centennial Blonde
Fermenting: Rat Dawg Pale Ale, American Lager, Jamils Blonde
On Deck: Edwort's Bavarian Hefeweizen, Biermuncher's Your WIT-ness" Belgian wit

Old 11-13-2012, 03:34 AM   #30
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nghtmre4u View Post
Just tasted my hydro sample all I can say is wow i can't wait till this one is done :-)
Should finish pretty quick.. I found that this one didn't need a ton of time to sit around, and no reason to secondary.

Glad you like it so far.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Quick Reply