Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Chocolate Oatmeal Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #221
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTate37 View Post
Not all, but some trub made it in to the bucket. I brewed three weeks ago. A week and a half ago I had the bubbles and sheen that the thread says comes from the cocoa, but nothing like this.

What kind of cocoa did you use? If it wasn't processed down to remove just about all the fats and oils, then thats is what is floating on top.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #222
cbren723
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

So this recipe looks great, and I am going to try it tonight but an extract version. The boil time says 90 min, is that just standard time for an all grain recipe? Can I just do a standard 60 min boil for an extract version? Whats the pros and cons of a 90 min boil?

-Also I have some Edinburgh yeast WLP028 left over from another brew (never used, unopened bottle). I use it for a scotch ale recipe of mine. Has anyone used this type/would it work well?

Thanks in advanced. Cannot thank this website and its contributors enough for the wealth of knowledge it has bestowed on me.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:06 AM   #223
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbren723 View Post
So this recipe looks great, and I am going to try it tonight but an extract version. The boil time says 90 min, is that just standard time for an all grain recipe? Can I just do a standard 60 min boil for an extract version? Whats the pros and cons of a 90 min boil?

-Also I have some Edinburgh yeast WLP028 left over from another brew (never used, unopened bottle). I use it for a scotch ale recipe of mine. Has anyone used this type/would it work well?

Thanks in advanced. Cannot thank this website and its contributors enough for the wealth of knowledge it has bestowed on me.
90 is something I normally do for most beers, so yes, generally with all grain. This beer doesn't need it, but it allows me to sparge enough boil down and get good efficiency out of it.

However, with extract, there really is no need to. I'd suggest a 60min boil in your case, and you'll be perfectly fine.

Edinburgh yeast would work fine. It'll be a clean finishing yeast, and will leave some malty notes behind, which is what you want.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

cbren723 Likes This 
Old 11-24-2013, 05:41 AM   #224
FATC1TY
Recipes 

[QUOTE=FATC1TY;5654528]Finally got around to brewing this again!

Everything went as planned, pretty much can do this without the recipe in front of me now.

Added 3oz Dutch Mahogany Cocoa powder to the boil at 15 minutes.Decided to toss in 3 ounces of cocoa nibs that were soaking in some bookers bourbon for a couple of days into the primary for the beer to age/ferment on. Got the tip from some pro brewers about their milk stout that has a ton of nibs and chocolate flavor to it.

Will add 4 vanilla beans to the keg I think in a bag and skip secondary on this guy.

Was lazy and had a 2 month old pack of 1968, and will toss another packet of US05 in there to make sure my cell count is good too, since I didn't make a starter due to not knowing if I would be able to swing a brew day. Should work out great I think![/QUOTE

Went from 1.070 to 1.020 with US05 and 1968 together.

The cocoa nibs in primary was a fantastic idea. Quite honestly THE MOST chocolate flavor I've been able to pack into this already milk chocolately beer.

Racked it onto 3 ounces of medium toast, second use oak cubes, and 5 vanilla beans I chopped and had in some bookers bourbon for a couple weeks.

Taste is delicious. Gonna oak age it for a bit, and then off to the keg she goes. Will be great around Christmas.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 11-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #225
Savage1005
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

i made a batch of this. went from 1.066 to 1.020 using nottingham yeast. i will be bottling in a week or so. i just added two vanilla beans i had soaking in some vodka since brew day last sunday. i hope it turns out well! it is my first porter i've made. thanks for the recipe.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #226
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage1005 View Post
i made a batch of this. went from 1.066 to 1.020 using nottingham yeast. i will be bottling in a week or so. i just added two vanilla beans i had soaking in some vodka since brew day last sunday. i hope it turns out well! it is my first porter i've made. thanks for the recipe.
Make sure you cut open the beans and scrape the good stuff on the insides and put it all in the beer. Won't get a ton of flavor real fast if you put them in whole.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 11-24-2013, 11:08 PM   #227
Savage1005
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
Make sure you cut open the beans and scrape the good stuff on the insides and put it all in the beer. Won't get a ton of flavor real fast if you put them in whole.
i did. i gutted them before i put them in the vodka. split em open, scraped, cut to pieces.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:54 AM   #228
Ridire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 777 Times on 520 Posts
Likes Given: 340

I under carbed. Nearly no head to speak of. Can't really taste the vanilla, either.

EDIT: it only spent about 48 hours in the fridge. More fridge time = more head?

Old 12-03-2013, 04:06 AM   #229
MTate37
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm too tired to read the whole thread right now, but I'm wondering if anyone has added lactose to this recipe and if so, how much?

The body is a bit thinner than I expected and it is also drier than I expected (1.012). I'm hoping some lactose would give a little sweetness and add some body, but I've never used it before and could use some guidance.

Untappd: mtate37 - Untappd Wishlist

Old 12-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #230
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTate37 View Post
I'm too tired to read the whole thread right now, but I'm wondering if anyone has added lactose to this recipe and if so, how much?

The body is a bit thinner than I expected and it is also drier than I expected (1.012). I'm hoping some lactose would give a little sweetness and add some body, but I've never used it before and could use some guidance.
Try a half pound of lactose, and go from there. You can always add more back to it.

Was your OG low to start with? 1.012 is indeed low for this recipe.

Boil up some water, add the lactose and allow it to cool, and add it in.. See what that does. I've used it once, on a similar like recipe that got too low and added a pound and it was way to damn sweet.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Quick Reply