Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Chocolate Oatmeal Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #171
Ridire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 682 Times on 455 Posts
Likes Given: 312

OK, I have not read every post here but was wondering if anyone has used S-04 on this and how it turned out.

Thanks. I'm thinking of making something very similar to this in the next two weeks and letting it condition until Christmas. Looks and sounds pretty damn good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #172
bolus14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

S-04 should be fine, my LHBS recommended it to me when I made this. I just opted for WLP002 since I prefer liquid yeast and its the closest they had in stock to the original recipe's yeast. I think others have used it for this recipe. Might not get as much of the maltiness that some of the liquid English strands lend, but should still be good.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #173
Ridire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 682 Times on 455 Posts
Likes Given: 312

Thanks. Another stupid question that may have been answered over the past 18 pages - how many units of carbonation? About 2? I over did it on the last porter I made and probably came in near 3.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:42 AM   #174
bolus14
Recipes 

I still bottle all my beer, with that said I used the calculator at tastybrew.com to figure out how much sugar to carb mine to 2. I believe for this style you can shoot from 1.7 - 2.4 to stay within the guidelines.
One thing to remember is this is homebrew make it how YOU like it. If you like it more carbed then go for it, if you like it more "flat" then go that route. But if I had to guess I think most on here would recommend to stick close to 2 on this one.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #175
daggers_nz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolus14 View Post
One thing to remember is this is homebrew make it how YOU like it. If you like it more carbed then go for it, if you like it more "flat" then go that route. But if I had to guess I think most on here would recommend to stick close to 2 on this one.
I disagree, if I'm not familiar with a style of beer I'll shoot for what is considered the standard amount. If anything, I always under-carb. This beer will turn out nicely at up to 2.0 volumes, which is what I did and it's always got a nice chocolately head on it
Drinking: Belgian IPA, Basil Lime Saison, Dark Saison, WY1007 Kolsch, Centennial Blonde

Old 09-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #176
bolus14
Recipes 

I opened a bottle of each that I made, one the base recipe without cocoa powder and one with vanilla extract added at bottling. Both are delicious and like what others have said the vanilla adds a milk chocolate like taste to it. The only thing I would change is to have it be a little "thicker," I'm sure this was due to my inconsistent mash temp, and the fact that my FG was 1.015 shows this. Mine might be very slightly over carbonated for a porter, it's not drastic but some people I'm sure would give that as a criticism. I shot for 2 volumes of CO2, and think I hit that, I just think my mash was off.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #177
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolus14 View Post
I opened a bottle of each that I made, one the base recipe without cocoa powder and one with vanilla extract added at bottling. Both are delicious and like what others have said the vanilla adds a milk chocolate like taste to it. The only thing I would change is to have it be a little "thicker," I'm sure this was due to my inconsistent mash temp, and the fact that my FG was 1.015 shows this. Mine might be very slightly over carbonated for a porter, it's not drastic but some people I'm sure would give that as a criticism. I shot for 2 volumes of CO2, and think I hit that, I just think my mash was off.
Could be your mash, but 1.015 isn't that dry honestly.. Middle of the road.

Could be the oats.. they'll add some body, but give it that slick motor oil feel, that slides across easily, which might make it feel thinner perhaps.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 09-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #178
bolus14
Recipes 

I agree that 1.015 isn't dry. The beer is far from dry. Its definitely a smooth drinker and I think the oats contribute a lot to that. The pour after a week in bottles produced .5in of head, pretty good I think. I put the whole glass down in 5-10 min which is unusual for me, most last at least 20 min if not longer. This could certainly be dangerous with how easy it goes down.

The next time which may not be far away. I would just like the roastiness to be a little more prevalent. Possibly up the black patent to 8 or 10oz and add a couple more ounces of pale chocolate.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:05 AM   #179
daggers_nz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Careful with adding more black malt, you'd be dicing with burnt flavours

Drinking: Belgian IPA, Basil Lime Saison, Dark Saison, WY1007 Kolsch, Centennial Blonde

Old 09-26-2013, 01:57 AM   #180
bolus14
Recipes 

What adding more chocolate be a better way to get a more prevelant roastiness?

Quick Reply