Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Chocolate Oatmeal Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #121
brevity
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
If you've soaked for any period of time, I would dump it all in. You've made pretty much homemade vanilla extract if you soaked the beans. Thats why you've got to be a bit careful adding TOO much vodka. I've used bourbon, as it's already got a bit of vanilla flavor to it from the oak it's been in.

You can try adding the beans, and then half your vodka extract and then taste the beer. If you don't sense any harsh vodka flavors, add more. All the flavor will for the most part, be in the vodka.

Be sure your beans are cut and split open when you add them.. Give it a week and taste it..
Thank you. Could you recommend a substitute for the Pale Chocolate Malt? I believe my LHBS only has regular Chocolate Malt.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #122
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Hrmm... Does he only have ONE chocolate malt? If so, then sub the amounts for both for what you can get.

You really want the two, as I think it gives the beer a great milk chocolate flavor when you use pale and belgian. My LHBS has around 4 kinds of chocolate malt, and I went through most all of them. This was the best, but it by no means will severely alter the beer. Just add the 8 ounces of the palest roast chocolate malt you can get, or sub it and do the one kind he can get. I think you'll loose some sweetness of the roast however.

If you do that, then I'd suggest knocking the Black Patent down to 3-4 ounces. As it will knock down the burnt roasty notes a tad since you'll lose some of that sweet note from the pale chocolate. Should balance just fine!

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 07-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #123
daggers_nz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

duuuuuuuuuude... I just cracked one after 3 weeks conditioning, 48 hours in the fridge.... all the flavours, subtle and not overpowering, coming together all at once to make love to my tastebuds

crappy pic:

Drinking: Belgian IPA, Basil Lime Saison, Dark Saison, WY1007 Kolsch, Centennial Blonde

Old 07-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #124
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggers_nz View Post
duuuuuuuuuude... I just cracked one after 3 weeks conditioning, 48 hours in the fridge.... all the flavours, subtle and not overpowering, coming together all at once to make love to my tastebuds
Good to hear it mellowed and all came together for you!

Pretty darn good ain't it? I'm gonna take it and do a chocolate pumpkin porter next for the holidays around the corner.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 07-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #125
nghtmre4u
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY

Good to hear it mellowed and all came together for you!

Pretty darn good ain't it? I'm gonna take it and do a chocolate pumpkin porter next for the holidays around the corner.
Now that sounds tasty I may have to try that :-) this is still one of my favorites will be brewing again real soon

On Tap: Edwort's Hause Ale, Circle City Haus Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Wheat, Centennial Blonde
Fermenting: Rat Dawg Pale Ale, American Lager, Jamils Blonde
On Deck: Edwort's Bavarian Hefeweizen, Biermuncher's Your WIT-ness" Belgian wit

Old 07-23-2013, 01:18 AM   #126
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nghtmre4u View Post
Now that sounds tasty I may have to try that :-) this is still one of my favorites will be brewing again real soon
Haha. Give it a go!

I plan to do a little nutmeg, cinnamon, all spice, and then use some hungarian oak soaked in some rum and age it for a little while. Get the vanilla, and clove from the wood and the subtle rum note to blend with the spices.

Should be tasty.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 07-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #127
brevity
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My 2.5 gallon batch is fermenting now. 4 days in but the kraussen only lasted 1 day, strange. Maybe it fermented really fast since I pitched almost an entire packet of S-04 dry yeast. No doubt it's still working though, just no kraussen at all now. I think I'll skip any secondary additions like the vanilla. Does it hold up on it's own without it? I love a simple chocolate porter as it is.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:05 AM   #128
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevity View Post
My 2.5 gallon batch is fermenting now. 4 days in but the kraussen only lasted 1 day, strange. Maybe it fermented really fast since I pitched almost an entire packet of S-04 dry yeast. No doubt it's still working though, just no kraussen at all now. I think I'll skip any secondary additions like the vanilla. Does it hold up on it's own without it? I love a simple chocolate porter as it is.
It certainly does hold up without any additions.. It's just diverse enough to allow additions and hold up to them!

Keep the 04 cold so it doesn't throw any fruity esters. This should be a dry-ish tasting roasty porter.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 07-29-2013, 05:04 AM   #129
daggers_nz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

my colleague/fellow brewer of 7 years had a bottle of the base porter over the weekend, he was pretty impressed. I'm happy with that.

I'm having one now. Quite good at ~10deg

Drinking: Belgian IPA, Basil Lime Saison, Dark Saison, WY1007 Kolsch, Centennial Blonde

Old 08-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #130
mpc88
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
This beer is a GREAT base Porter. Has a very, very balanced profile to it. Very drinkable, even among people who are afraid of dark beers!
Nice, I hope to make one soon as I get my equipment up and running and I can get a bit more experience in brewing, I don't want to mess up when I try a porter because I love those and having 5+gals would be awesome,

Quick Reply