Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Bourbon Vanilla Porter (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2013, 03:49 AM   #541
Haputanlas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkUncle View Post
Hi guys,

This is my second batch of this awesome brew. However, I hooked the keg up to the gas over 2 weeks ago and it's still not carbonated. Not even a little. I also connected a keg of another brew at the same time and that one is fully carbonated. I don't remember if it took this long the last time I did this porter. Anyone else experience an extremely slow rate of carbonation with this beer? There's definitely gas pressure in there as I've drawn some to taste and also pulled on the vent ring and it gases out. I just disconnected this keg and shook the living hell out of it and reconnected. Will give it another week before I taste test again.
Something's wrong. What temperature and what pressure did you have it at for 2 weeks?

I've never had to wait more than a few days to get at least a little bit of carbonation. I'm not suggesting you can get this to speed up, I'm just saying that you should definitely notice something by now.

I would normally suggest that you check for a leak. However, if there was a leak with no carbonation after 2 weeks, your canister would be empty by now.

Obviously check that the valve is all the way turned on and you could also try to remove the ball/pin lock and clean it up.

Another question. When you re-connect the gas line after opening and re-sealing the lid, did you hear the gas going into the keg?

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #542
EineProsit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Gotta try this I'm torn between this and Edworts Robust Porter. Guess I will just have to do them both.

Man All I wanna do is go Homebrew!

Old 08-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #543
DarkUncle
Blockhead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haputanlas

Something's wrong. What temperature and what pressure did you have it at for 2 weeks?

I've never had to wait more than a few days to get at least a little bit of carbonation. I'm not suggesting you can get this to speed up, I'm just saying that you should definitely notice something by now.

I would normally suggest that you check for a leak. However, if there was a leak with no carbonation after 2 weeks, your canister would be empty by now.

Obviously check that the valve is all the way turned on and you could also try to remove the ball/pin lock and clean it up.

Another question. When you re-connect the gas line after opening and re-sealing the lid, did you hear the gas going into the keg?
Both kegs are on the same bottle of cO2 which are connected through a manifold. The one keg of beer is fully carbed but the porter isn't at all. There is gas in the keg, yes. I hear it go in, there is serving pressure on the line and when I pull the vent ring on top of the keg, gas is clearly in there and under pressure. So weird. I've never had this happen with any beer. There is no leaks either. Sprayed starsan around the inlet/outlet and the lid. No bubbles indicating a leak.

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Old 08-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #544
gibsonmi
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkUncle

Both kegs are on the same bottle of cO2 which are connected through a manifold. The one keg of beer is fully carbed but the porter isn't at all. There is gas in the keg, yes. I hear it go in, there is serving pressure on the line and when I pull the vent ring on top of the keg, gas is clearly in there and under pressure. So weird. I've never had this happen with any beer. There is no leaks either. Sprayed starsan around the inlet/outlet and the lid. No bubbles indicating a leak.
Maybe a leak in the pressure relief valve? You could try disconnecting the keg for a few days and then try to release pressure, if nothing comes out then you will know if you have a bad o-ring somewhere. Sounds like something is definitely wrong though

Old 08-16-2013, 01:00 AM   #545
coy94
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have the exact same problem as DarkUncle. Mine has been kegged for about two months. Three other kegs have been carbonated well. There is still CO2 in the tank so I know it can't be a large leak. I depressurize and hear the gas going back in. I've popped the top and reinserted with more keg lube several times. Nothing.

On the bright side, the beer tastes great even without a lot of carbonation. This is my second batch and first doing it all grain. The first batch took multiple weeks to carb as well. Hmmm....maybe too much bourbon?

Coy

Old 08-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #546
JoeMomma85
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy94 View Post
I have the exact same problem as DarkUncle. Mine has been kegged for about two months. Three other kegs have been carbonated well. There is still CO2 in the tank so I know it can't be a large leak. I depressurize and hear the gas going back in. I've popped the top and reinserted with more keg lube several times. Nothing.

On the bright side, the beer tastes great even without a lot of carbonation. This is my second batch and first doing it all grain. The first batch took multiple weeks to carb as well. Hmmm....maybe too much bourbon?

Coy
On one of my used kegs I have to back the post out a quarter to half a turn otherwse the poppet doesnt depress and I get a very slow flat pour that would take 2-3 minutes to fill. pint.

Transferred this beer to a secondary for bulk aging today. 1.086 > 1.019 and it is very boozy and hot. Time for some reating time with my good pall Elijah Craig and Bulleit.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:39 AM   #547
DarkUncle
Blockhead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well after 3+ weeks on the gas I'm finally getting some carbonation. Beer tastes great by the way. I don't know. Maybe higher alcohol content has some influence on the rate of carbonation? I've never heard that or read that anywhere though. Who knows. I'll grab another pint in a week and see how it goes. It's in a keezer at around 37 degrees with no detectable leaks anywhere on the keg and has plenty of pressure on the serving line. I fill a pint up in less then 5 seconds.

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Old 08-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #548
GrizzAndFish
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have the recipe from a TrueBrew Porter Kit I brewed a while back, and am thinking of just applying the hops and yeast from this recipe to it and then adding the vanilla in secondary and bottling with Bourbon. The recipe, then, is as follows

Type: Extract
Yeast: American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)
Batch Size: 5 Gal.
OG: 1.043-1.045
FG: 1.012-1.014
IBU: 32?

Ingredients:
Dark Malt Extract - 1 Can (7lbs?)
Dark DME - 2lbs
Malto-Dextrin - 8oz
Choc. Grain Malt - 6oz
Hops 0.75 oz Magnum [14.00%](60 min)
Hops 1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (10 min)

Ferment as normal, 2 vanilla beans in secondary, 2.5 oz/gal bourbon with priming sugar at bottling.

I'm going to bring this to my LHBS for advice, but I'd love all the input I can get. I'm looking forward to this.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #549
Hanso
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzAndFish
I have the recipe from a TrueBrew Porter Kit I brewed a while back, and am thinking of just applying the hops and yeast from this recipe to it and then adding the vanilla in secondary and bottling with Bourbon. The recipe, then, is as follows

Type: Extract
Yeast: American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)
Batch Size: 5 Gal.
OG: 1.043-1.045
FG: 1.012-1.014
IBU: 32?

Ingredients:
Dark Malt Extract - 1 Can (7lbs?)
Dark DME - 2lbs
Malto-Dextrin - 8oz
Choc. Grain Malt - 6oz
Hops 0.75 oz Magnum [14.00%](60 min)
Hops 1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (10 min)

Ferment as normal, 2 vanilla beans in secondary, 2.5 oz/gal bourbon with priming sugar at bottling.

I'm going to bring this to my LHBS for advice, but I'd love all the input I can get. I'm looking forward to this.
That will turn out horribly bitter. I'm assuming the OG of 1.044 is accurate, not the 7lbs of extract. If you apply that much hops to a malt bill that yields 1.044 it will be 1. Too low of gravity and won't be similar to this recipe as a result. 2. The same hops in a lower gravity environment will extract even more alpha acid than it would from the original recipe (higher gravity).

Using Tinseth I get 49 IBUs, which is off the charts in terms of bitter:sweet balance. You should be shooting for 16-18 IBUs if the gravity is 1.044 and you want to approximate the balance of this recipe. Probably means boiling with a smaller amount of much lower alpha hops, like 0.5 oz of Fuggles at 60 instead of 0.75 of magnum, keeping the EKG where they are.

As for the bourbon and vanilla I don't know how that would impact a light beer.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #550
GrizzAndFish
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

That being the case, can anyone suggest a tried and true extract recipe for this beer? I read the first 25ish pages of the forum before my eyes started to bleed, and their were a few people trying extract versions. One issue I saw come up rather often is loss of head retention due to oils from the vanilla beans. Some solutions that I saw suggested were the addition of flaked oats, barley or cara-something (pils?), would these work if steeped with the chocolate and brown malts, or do they need to be mashed? Thank you in advance for all your help.

Quick Reply