Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Bourbon Vanilla Porter (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2013, 02:08 AM   #521
BrewOClock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLBeanJ View Post
I soaked the beans in about an ounce or so of the bourbon for a few weeks (was only supposed to be a week, but my brew schedule kept getting pushed out and the beans were already soaking) to sanitize them before adding to secondary. The bulk of the bourbon (I used 8 oz.) was added when I transferred from secondary to the keg.

Edit: No, this isn't what I did. I'm remembering incorrectly. Jeez, it sucks getting old.

It was the oak chips that ended up with an extended soaking in the full 8 oz. of bourbon for about 3 weeks before adding to secondary. I can't remember what I did with the vanilla beans. Might've just added them to the end of the boil. I'll check my notes tonight and update this post... again.

Edit 2: Evidently, I soaked the vanilla beans and the oak chips in 8 oz. of bourbon and dumped the whole mess into the secondary for about a week, then I kegged and let it age for 4 months before tapping. Fortunately, I don't need to refer back to my notes to recall that it turned out to be really nice brew.
These all sound good. My OG ended a little low (1.071) but I used a lot less Bourbon. The vanilla and chocolate flavors still came through strong. Great recipe but I ended up a little cidery cause I went a little too high with my ferment temp.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #522
wgaylord
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just placed my 5gal (post blow-off) into secondary with 2 vanilla beans split, scraped, and chopped soaked in 2oz Paddleford Creek bourbon for 6 days. I had to leave it in primary for a little longer than I would've liked (5 weeks) due to vacation and work problems, but It smelled great when transferring and I can't wait to take the first sample tomorrow!

Old 07-03-2013, 04:51 AM   #523
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

If I can find Brown Malt locally, I'm going to brew this on Thursday.

It was either this, or my RIS that I've made a few times. I asked SWMBO her opinion and she said "This will give you an excuse to buy some bourbon!"

Love that gal.....

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 07-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #524
rgauthier20420
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I've been looking for a good vanilla porter base recipe, and I've decided on doing this recipe (without the Bourbon). Although we will split part off into 1 gallon jugs to do a couple experiments...maybe bourbon .

I'm planning a 10 gallon batch and wanting it closer to 5%, but I'm restricted to around 23-24 pounds of grain with my mash tun. I'm thinking of just adjusting the base grain a little to bring the ABV down and volume of grain and water needed. Does this seem to be a good approach or should I adjust all of the specialties also? Thanks guys!

Old 07-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #525
mrjaked
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

just brewed this recipe last night. had to add a gallon of boiling water to my mash in to bring my temp up but took a gallon off on the back end. should I have any problems w the final gravity. my og was 1.081. I'm relatively new to home brewing just don't want to screw this one up. my thought is that it doesn't really mater how u get the sugar from the grain, but just want to make sure.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #526
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 194 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 85

It'll be fine.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:17 AM   #527
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjaked View Post
just brewed this recipe last night. had to add a gallon of boiling water to my mash in to bring my temp up but took a gallon off on the back end. should I have any problems w the final gravity. my og was 1.081. I'm relatively new to home brewing just don't want to screw this one up. my thought is that it doesn't really mater how u get the sugar from the grain, but just want to make sure.
Worst case is that you might create a more fermentable wort. However, when mashing cool, you'll have to mash longer to convert the wort into that more fermentable solution. If you added the hot water relatively quickly, you'll likely have no problems.

Even if you did mash at the lower temp, your FG likely won't be affected more than a few points.

I don't typically say it, but RDWHAHB.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 07-23-2013, 04:47 AM   #528
mrjaked
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for the reply. I will def relax and have a home brew!

Old 07-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #529
kagythings
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I brewed this last December and have slowly been opening a bottle every two weeks to taste the changes in flavor. At first it was hot with the bourbon alcohol taste and had low carbonation. That was the first few months.
The next few months still had a bit of warmth from the bourbon but was mellower than before, the carb levels were nice even if it seemed a touch low.
I opened a bottle a few nights ago and it instantly overflowed from the bottle, obviously over carbed. I poured it into my glass and let it sit for a while and the flavors were great.
I followed the recipe on here as well as put it into BeerSmith for the proper corn sugar added. I left the bottles in the back of a cupboard at room temp around 70 degrees for a few months before putting a few in the fridge at a time a couple days before drinking. Any ideas why they are so over carbed. I will have to check my notes when I get home but it was a 5gallon batch, 10oz makers mark and around 4oz corn sugar.
I plan to brew this again eventually since it was delicious but wanted to wait for that 9-12 month mark to drink it since a lot of people on this thread said this beer is amazing at that time frame. Any ideas would be helpful as to why it happened to avoid it next time.
Thanks for the great recipe.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:52 AM   #530
mrjaked
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I apologize if this was previously covered in this crazy long thread. has anyone used oak chips in the secondary w this recipe. I've been soaking some in some bourbon for a couple weeks and since they are in the bourbon I thought it might be a nice add. any thoughts.

Quick Reply