Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Bourbon Vanilla Porter (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 02:56 AM   #491
coy94
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I finally found the error to my carbonation problem. I replaced the bonnet on regulator with a quick call to MicroMatic. A few $$, 10 minutes to replace and more days under REAL pressure gets me

image-3610483184.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #492
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Racked onto the beans today. Had 9 12oz bottles of beer left that didn't fit in the carboys, so I bottled them with 75ml of bourbon, only had imitation vanilla, so I skipped that.

The inside of the beans was weird, never cut into one before and I see where the flecks of stuff comes from now in some vanilla ice creams.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #493
DallasW
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Brewed a triple batch of this as part of our new brew club on Saturday (none of us had done AG, most of us hadn't even brewed). We used the grain bill found on the brew365 site, and mashed at 153 for 60 min. Hit our OG of 1.080 and everything tastes great and seems to be fermenting well (it's in the four along the back wall)

I just had some questions about the vanilla and oak additions. I'm planning on adding 2 split/scraped beans and some medium toast oak chips (both soaked in bourbon for a few days) at around 3 weeks, but can I add these straight into primary, provided fermentation is completed at that point? I'm running low on fermenters and it would make life a whole lot easier, but isn't completely necessary.

Also, how much less do you need to add with oak chips vs oak cubes, I seem to have bought the wrong product...

Old 02-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #494
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasW View Post
Brewed a triple batch of this as part of our new brew club on Saturday (none of us had done AG, most of us hadn't even brewed). We used the grain bill found on the brew365 site, and mashed at 153 for 60 min. Hit our OG of 1.080 and everything tastes great and seems to be fermenting well (it's in the four along the back wall)

I just had some questions about the vanilla and oak additions. I'm planning on adding 2 split/scraped beans and some medium toast oak chips (both soaked in bourbon for a few days) at around 3 weeks, but can I add these straight into primary, provided fermentation is completed at that point? I'm running low on fermenters and it would make life a whole lot easier, but isn't completely necessary.

Also, how much less do you need to add with oak chips vs oak cubes, I seem to have bought the wrong product...
Looks like your answer is in the other thread.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #495
oasisbliss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What temp should we ferment this at ?

Old 02-08-2013, 01:56 AM   #496
coreydye
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
With a beer starting at 1.075, the ph and alcohol content would take care of anything the beans are carrying as long as you wash them in some nice hot water first. The only thing that would like to live in that beer, is, um... me!

Also, how long do YOU usually leave the beans in the secondary?? I assume you also made a starter for this beast?
That is ridiculous. You need close to 50% ABV for sanitizing whereas 70% is standard in labs and 95% is ideal. Alcohol sanitizes by breaking down cell membranes... 6% won't sanitize anything. Think about sours... they are given their flavor with... what.. BACTERIA during fermentation. I'm not even going to address the your pH comment because it is even further off base.

Your risk of contamination from the vanilla beans is low. You've already fermented.. meaning there's not a lot of food left for the bacteria to enter a fervent reproduction cycle either (ever feel too tired for sex with your girlfriend?). And your hops naturally have antimicrobial agents in them. Yeast put these off as well. (Evolution is the bomb). You run a greater risk if youre planning on bottle conditioning to carbonate because you'll be introducing priming sugar. Still there's a lot more yeast in solution that can compete with the bacteria. Think of it as 10000000 starving people competing with 100 starving people for the same few scraps of food. Most everyone will starve, but the odds are the group of 1000000 will still get the majority of what was there.

If you're really concerned, run a UV light over the surface of your beans for 5-10 minutes. That'll kill off any surface bacteria and wont affect the beans or vanilla at all.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:00 AM   #497
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3317 Times on 2062 Posts
Likes Given: 2832

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreydye View Post
That is ridiculous.
Ha, you replied to The Pol. That guys been gone an eternity. That post you're replying to was 5 years ago.

Actually, he came back as willynilly, but then dissapeared again. AFAIK he's been gone for at least a year, maybe more.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:09 AM   #498
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Just sampled my latest batch of this.

I love this stuff.

Now, on to some interesting facts about this batch:

1. Fermented with Nottingham (Vs US-05 for every previous batch). Much fruitier and more yeast character. I think a little bit too much, but nothing to complain about. It's still a great beer.
2. Sampled without the vanilla or bourbon. To me that's important to get an idea of the difference between the US-05 and Notty
3. Fermentation went too high (Temp controller broke while fermenting) (Around 75 F for about 10-14 hours). Fortunately, I don't think it gave too many negative characters, however I think the excess fruitiness is from some esters going wild at these temps. I've heard that Notty creates "Monkey Beer" when fermented too high.

Even with the fermentation muck up, I still love this beer. As mentioned, I'll probably switch back to US-05 for this. I liked the really clean profile of the previous batches (Just my preference, not a shot at the Notty yeast).

On another note, the Notty makes this taste a little bit closer to a scotch ale. Not quite a scotch ale, but I'm convinced that I could use this yeast for a scotch/scottish recipe.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 02-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #499
jtkratzer

Recipes 

I moved this over to a pair of 5 gallon carboys for the vanilla and had enough left over for nine 12oz bottles. Added roughly 10ml/pint and it's pretty amazing, even without the vanilla. I think the beans I had weren't as fresh as they should have been and couldn't taste vanilla at all after a week, so I added more vanilla beans and I'm kegging on Saturday to carb, then bottling from the kegs.

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Old 02-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #500
founder26
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Hey guys got a couple ?'s and didnt really wanna read through 50 pgs to see if these ?'s have been answered lol. First ? Would using jack daniels be ok and if so how much should I use for the bourbon aspect. Also how many beans should I use to get a mild but noticable taste, this will be for a 5 gallon batch.

Quick Reply