Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Bourbon Vanilla Porter (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #471
jclark1299
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

After a month in primary I am stuck at 1.022. Pitched Nottingham yeast cake from a English Mild at 62 degrees and submersed the primary into a tub of water to keep temps low. Initial fermentation was not as vigorous as I anticipated. After two weeks I checked the gravity and it was 1.022. Thinking the basement was getting too cold I move it upstairs to a 68 degree ambient temp. Two weeks later, still stuck at 1.022. I just stirred the cake in hopes of waking the yeast. Anyone have recommendations of what I can do to drop those last few points? Tastes great btw!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #472
blaster_54738
Highway 93 Brewing Co
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 70

tagged for brewing later!!

Old 01-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #473
Wolfbayne
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It might be where it is going to be from the strain of being previously used cake?? The magic of yeast...lol.

Could double pitch?

Old 01-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #474
coy94
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Help!!!

Hello. I’ve been a lurker around here for a while and have learned a lot. I knew I needed to try this beer and, in fact, it is fantastic tasting…..but I have a problem.

I kegged this beer on December 17. I wanted to slowly carbonate this beer at 10-11 psi instead of force carbonating. I was going to open the tap on New Year’s Eve for friends to enjoy. When we did open it up, there wasn’t any carbonation! The keg had pressure on it as it flowed freely but there were only large bubble on the side of the glass. No head at all.

My recipe was slightly different doing an extract with steeping grains. I pitched with a different yeast but the fermentation was very good (I.e. a big mess!). I did use Tahitian vanilla beans (3 as the taste of two was quite weak) and not Madagascar.

I’m asking for help in pinning down my problem. Is it my changes to the recipe, bad seals on the keg, not a full CO2 tank….? I’m really at a loss here and looking for help.

Thanks in advance.

Coy94

Old 01-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #475
lewisbrett
Recipes 

Coy, doubt it has anything to do with your recipe.

I do an extract with specialty grains on this one with 3 Tahitian Beans and while it took an extra week for the carbonation to come in (bottle conditioned) it still was present.

Seems like a kegging issue though my first experiencing kegging a beer will be this weekend so I would not know what might be the issue.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #476
HawkDriver
Recipes 

Coy94,
It's a slow leak in the keg. The leak's slow enough that it couldn't build up the pressure to carbonate, but still keeps just enough in straight from the bottle to push it through the tap. Speaking from experience here unfortunately. It's also a sign you might need a CO2 refill shortly.

Sometimes you can take a soap/water solution and put it around the seal on the keg. If you get bubbles, there's your source. Not really much need to do so though- try opening the keg, re-lubricating the gaskets, and getting a good seal on there.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #477
Hanso
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedIrocZ-28
I like to drink Breckenridge Vanilla Porter quite a bit when I can find it. I distinctly remember from the Tap and from the Bottle little to no head retention. Perhaps its a characteristic of this beer?? (also voting for the oils from the beans)
Poor head retention is run into with others as well.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:30 AM   #478
Totes
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totes View Post
Hey Crew,
I made a 5 gallon batch of this early November. I bottled, 1/2 without bourbon, the other 2.5 gallon with 8 fl. ounces makers mark. It's been in the bottle for 20 days now at 68f temperature. The non bourbon bottle I sampled (12oz) today was drinkably carbonated ( a touch flat ), and the makers mark version (22oz) had zero carb. Do you think the slightly higher ABV from the bourbon is a factor?
-added 4 oz dextrose to the 5 gal for priming. o.g. was way low @ 1.072, f.g was low as well @ 1.012.
-on the bright side it tastes great! just a touch on the thin side.
Should I just be patient? not even a pssst when opening the bourbon infused.
Update: Enjoying my first 22 bottle as we speak, finally carbed up. No problems with head retention, bourbon is not too dominant, just barely there. Vanilla is just right. Some very unique 'burnt?' aftertaste notes. slightly thin. All in all a great outcome, thank you everyone!!! Will be brewing this one again soon. cheers

Old 01-13-2013, 03:14 AM   #479
jclark1299
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclark1299 View Post
Has a Breckenridge Vanilla Porter tonight and thought it was too vanilla-ey. I already bought the grain bill and have been wanting to make a pecan porter down the road. Since I am not feeling the Vanilla, I am going to go for it. Researching tells me to roast them several times at 350 and soak the oils up with paper bags between each roast. My question is, would this be a good idea? Additionally how much pecans would I use?

I also plan on adding bourbon to half the bottles, how much per bottle should I add?
Got my hands on some kegs in perfect time to rack this brew. Day 1, very harsh finish. Day 2, harshness seems to be going away. Day 3, Damn good beer. This is the first brew I am totally pleased with. Will be trying this one again and hope to get better OG/FG results. 1.066 - 1.022. Not sure I can tell a difference with the pecans, next batch no pecans.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #480
rpe290
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantooth View Post
I have been brewing for over a year now and this is the best beer I have made, maybe best beer ever tasted. Such a smooth tasting beer. I used pure vanilla extract during bottling and Maker Mark bourbon. Also, I used two packets of S-05. The beer has only been bottled for 3 weeks and already this good. Will be making more for sure. Who ever this Denny Conn is, he deserves some respect.
Same here, except I used 2 beans, WLP001 and JB Choice (green bottle) for ingredients, it is just now getting perfect and is awesome.

BTW, for the rest of you wondering about final gravity, I started 1.080 and ended 1.025 and it tastes great, so don't worry about getting under 1.020.

Best beer I have made, and I am normally not a big porter/stout guy at all.

Great Job Denny!

Quick Reply