Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Bourbon Vanilla Porter (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #331
texwake
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Just bought the supplies for this. I cant wait to try it out! My truck smelled mike chocolate on the way back to the house. mmmm

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #332
chinly43
Recipes 

Anyone ever tried this with rye whiskey instead of bourbon?

Old 04-17-2012, 12:49 AM   #333
Draygon
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Brewed this one and bottled today, was slightly modified from the recipe, tasted great! Cant wait to see how much better it will get in the bottles.

ABV 8.5%

Primary:Empty
Secondary: Amber Ale
Bottled: B2 Amber, Scottish Ale, Honey B Ale, Cherry Stout, Bourbon Vanilla Porter, Double Chocolate (Milk) Stout, B2 Cream Ale, Amber Cider, Maple syrup dark ale, Pirate Strong Ale, Midas touch clone, Spiced Imperial Stout, Olde Ale

Planned: Milk Stout, Barley Wine

Old 04-17-2012, 01:34 AM   #334
Layne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

We're drinking my second batch of this one this year.
G R E A T !

Old 04-17-2012, 04:28 AM   #335
thecad
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

just ordered the supplies and can't wait to make this

Old 04-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #336
texwake
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Pictures?

Anyone have anymore pictures of this beer? Has anyone done extract/grain version of this? If so what was your ABV?

Old 04-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #337
Talljake6110
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have this beer on tap right now. It comes out nearly black. I ended up with about a 7.4% abv before i added in 300 mL of Buffalo Trace bourbon. When i figured it up, that game out to roughtly 1/4 of a shot of bourbon per pint. It is a great beer and i have had several people give rave compliments on it. I even had one person say that as it warmed up, the flavors came out more and got even better. It is heavy and rich. Definitely not a beer to sit around and drink all night whilst shooting the bull with friends. I could imagine it being great to drink with a cigar.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #338
OddNotion
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talljake6110 View Post
I have this beer on tap right now. It comes out nearly black. I ended up with about a 7.4% abv before i added in 300 mL of Buffalo Trace bourbon. When i figured it up, that game out to roughtly 1/4 of a shot of bourbon per pint. It is a great beer and i have had several people give rave compliments on it. I even had one person say that as it warmed up, the flavors came out more and got even better. It is heavy and rich. Definitely not a beer to sit around and drink all night whilst shooting the bull with friends. I could imagine it being great to drink with a cigar.
Was this your first time brewing this? I am more interested in your choice of Bourbon as Buffalo Trace is one of my favorites if not my favorite bourbon and wanted to know how it compares to other brands. I plan on using Buffalo Trace later this year if I can get another bottle at a decent price.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #339
Talljake6110
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddNotion View Post
Was this your first time brewing this? I am more interested in your choice of Bourbon as Buffalo Trace is one of my favorites if not my favorite bourbon and wanted to know how it compares to other brands. I plan on using Buffalo Trace later this year if I can get another bottle at a decent price.
Well, right before I decided to brew this beer, I started drinking a variety of bourbons. I started by drinking old fashioneds, but that was too much work, so i was just drinking bourbon on the rocks. I was just going to the liquor store and picking up a bottle of whatever looked good at the time. I too really began to enjoy Buffalo trace. When it came time to add the bourbon, i had a half a bottle left. There are several other brands that i really enjoy, but that was what I had available, plus it was a fairly reasonably priced bourbon. And yes, it was my first time brewing this beer.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #340
Draygon
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I too used Buffalo Trace as my bourbon for this beer. May as well use what you like, after all if you dont like what you brew whats the point of doing it? I put in 450+ml so as I said in my thread above, my abv is 8.5% with a really nice bourbon/vanilla taste. Good bourbon flavor in drinking it as well but not too over powering.

Primary:Empty
Secondary: Amber Ale
Bottled: B2 Amber, Scottish Ale, Honey B Ale, Cherry Stout, Bourbon Vanilla Porter, Double Chocolate (Milk) Stout, B2 Cream Ale, Amber Cider, Maple syrup dark ale, Pirate Strong Ale, Midas touch clone, Spiced Imperial Stout, Olde Ale

Planned: Milk Stout, Barley Wine

Quick Reply