Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Bourbon Vanilla Porter (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2008, 02:01 PM   #21
shagington
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I need a little help...

It has been almost 3 weeks in the primary and I am stuck at a final gravity of 1.030, when I should probably have a 1.018 or 1.020. I used the British Ale Yeast WLP005 from White Labs. If I transfer to the secondary and add yeast nutrients to the beer might that jump start the fermentation again and get it to that final gravity?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2008, 02:18 AM   #22
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

First, try to rouse the yeast by gently stirring the yeast back into suspension. If you transfer to secondary, you're getting rid of most of the yeast, which isn't really what you want at this time. You'll want to let the trub compact again before racking it, but it shouldn't take long. Depending on the mash temps, the FG may not be much lower than what you're at. I never use yeast nutrients, but you can probably add it when you rouse the yeast.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:51 PM   #23
shagington
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky View Post
First, try to rouse the yeast by gently stirring the yeast back into suspension. If you transfer to secondary, you're getting rid of most of the yeast, which isn't really what you want at this time. You'll want to let the trub compact again before racking it, but it shouldn't take long. Depending on the mash temps, the FG may not be much lower than what you're at. I never use yeast nutrients, but you can probably add it when you rouse the yeast.
I roused the yeast, I added the yeast nutrients and energizer, but it just didn't get anywhere. I dropped another batch of yeast into the carboy and nothing happened. So today I did a little stir and shake before work, so hopefully when I get home it would have started something.... I just feel the 1.030 is too high and it has too much of a malty sweetness.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:32 PM   #24
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

I'm very doubtful it's the yeast, but probably just a lot of unfermentable sugars then.

I really hesitate to mention it, but I've heard that beano can be used to break the starches/sugars down where the yeast can do their thing. The problem is it can go on seemingly forever. I would suggest doing as much reading about it as possible before you try that, and I would only do so if you think it's really too sweet and malty to drink.

Let us know what you do.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:21 AM   #25
Wing Nut
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey all,

Ok this sounds like a great winter warmer! I have orderd the grains today but was unable to find the Brown malt it called for. The closest malt I could find was Belgian Buscuit malt. Will this work or should I wait and find the actual brown malt? As far as yeast goes am I best to stay with the Wyeast 1056? or will 1084 the irish ale yeast work as well? I have porter in the secondary that will be ready to bottle just as this one is ready to go in the primary so I might use that yeast cake.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:26 AM   #26
Wing Nut
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh I forgot to mention that I was unable to get the hops in the recipie so I made my best geuss, I have ordered fuggles and nothern brewer hops. Hope they will work.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #27
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Biscuit malt won't be the same as brown malt, but I think it would be an interesting addition to the recipe. I don't think I'd use more than a pound, though. It should give this already hearty recipe a little more chewy flavor.

I think the irish ale yeast will work fine. I'd use that yeast cake if I had it available.

I think you'll be OK with the hops substitutions. I don't think I used the same hops every time myself.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:46 PM   #28
shagington
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Brown Malt, which I was told is more of a smoked malt, I could not find labeled as Brown Malt. However, I did find a German Smoked Malt from Weyermanns that worked great.

Update on my Bourbon Porter!! It was still at 1.030 even after a new yeast was dropped. So I decided to transfer over to the secondary and add the vanilla beans, oak chips and bourbon.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:20 PM   #29
ohiodad

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Nut View Post
Hey all,

Ok this sounds like a great winter warmer! I have orderd the grains today but was unable to find the Brown malt it called for. The closest malt I could find was Belgian Buscuit malt. Will this work or should I wait and find the actual brown malt? As far as yeast goes am I best to stay with the Wyeast 1056? or will 1084 the irish ale yeast work as well? I have porter in the secondary that will be ready to bottle just as this one is ready to go in the primary so I might use that yeast cake.
This is Denny Conn's recipe and Denny swears by that brown malt in there! Says there is no substitute. I've made it with the brown malt and I think it is fantastic... You can get brown malt online in plenty of places...

Old 08-21-2008, 08:43 PM   #30
adx

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

The interesting question now is hop subs

I have the EKG, but need something for the Magnum. I'm thinking either Millennium or Galena. Thoughts?

Quick Reply