Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Bourbon Vanilla Porter (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #281
Riseabovebb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky View Post
Sounds like you have things about right, although I've never sparged by moving grains in a bag from one pot to another. I think your OG would definitely be low if you did a no-sparge. What is your typically efficiency mashing with that technique? I wouldn't worry about doing a mashout, it'll just make things more complicated - save it for another time.
I haven't done the Brew in a Bag method before, this is my first. I've double milled my grain which I've read should help with my efficiency. I've decided to do the no-sparge method as shown in the BIAB sticky. I'll let you know how it turns out!

A few last minute items from the homebrew store and I should be all set to brew this weekend.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #282
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky View Post
I'm not an extract brewer, but Beersmith converts 9 lbs of 2-row (65% eff) to 5 lbs of DME, so I think you definitely need more fermentables. I'd recommend more 2-row, but it depends on if you have the capacity to mash that much.

If you don't have a brewing program, I highly recommend it. It'll help out a lot when you're trying to figure out estimated OG based on a recipe and your typical efficiency, not to mention water amounts, IBUs, color, etc.
Software is on my Christmas list. I have a Brew Magic system I'm converting to electric HERMS. I'm going to attempt a partial mash on this with a mash in a bag concept using my bottling bucket and a 0* sleeping bag as my MLT. Then I can sparge into the Brew Magic BK and boil with my propane burner. I'll see if I can get my hands on a few pounds of two row. 5.5 lbs of 2-row and 3 lbs of plain light DME with the other grains (1.25 lbs of chocolate malt) give me an estimated OG of 1.084 on Beer Calculus. Sound right?

Old 11-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #283
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts

Here's my dilemma – my boil kettle from the Brew Magic system is going to the welder for the work to convert it over to electric. I won't have it to brew this weekend.

I'm thinking I can make this work as a partial mash as originally intended, but I'm looking for recommendations to hold off on this until I can brew it all grain.

The recipe I have now is as posted on the first page with the following changes:
5 lbs 13 oz Plain Light DME
2 lbs of 2-row
1.25 lbs of chocolate malt

Everything else is the same. Accordinng to Beer Calculus, the DME is 40% of my grain bill. Is my math right that this is a 5.5 gallon batch, and if I'm using 40% DME, then the grain bill should be calculated for mash/sparge/etc based on 60% of the 5.5 gallon batch? 60% of a 5.5 gallon batch is 3.3 gallons. If I use 3.3 as my batch size for calculating water volumes, I can fit that in my 7 gallon brew pot (2.73 gal mash, 2.9 gal sparge, 5.64 total water with less going into the kettle due to grain absorption, etc).

5 point something gallons of wort from the grain going into the brew pot, boil according to schedule for 45 minutes, add DME for the last 15 minutes for hop utilization, etc, chill, top off to 5.5 gallons, aerate, pitch yeast.

Sound RIGHT, or should I wait and do this as an all grain recipe since this takes enough time to age/mature that I won't drink it until next Thanksgiving/Christmas anyway?

Old 11-27-2011, 05:28 AM   #284
kosmokramer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Its funny this thread has so many more posts than the actual thread that denny participates in.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/denn...porter-144612/

i think the second to last page denny himself gives the partial mash recipe. He also suggest drinking it about the month and a half mark!. I brewed it and accidentally threw in an extra pound of dme and ended up about 11% abv. it is 2 months old right now and on tap. I really like it. I will probably bottle some just to taste how it ages but as he states there is no need to wait that long to drink it

Old 11-29-2011, 03:50 AM   #285
jigidyjim
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just opened mine after 3 weeks in the bottle. Pretty yummy!

Old 12-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #286
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Wanted to comment on the bourbon choice. I wanted to try my favorite bourbon with the brew and see if it was a better fit than Jim Beam Black. I suspected that it wouldn't be because Jim Beam is more straight forward than my favorite bourbon (Eagle Rare 10 Yr old). Price difference is a few bucks, but it did give me the chance to buy two bottles of bourbon vs. one

Turns out I was right and my wife even commented (hers was a blind taste test) that there was too much flavor with the eagle rare and it didn't meld together as well.

I did my taste comparison by pouring some untreated DBVP into a glass and some bourbon into two shot glasses. I went back and forth between the bourbon and the beer and let my taste buds tell me which melded better. I didn't make a mix of the bourbons and brew because IMO the brew isn't ready and needed one more day of vanilla and some aging before trying to find the right bourbon to DBVP ratio.

Just thought I would let people know my results.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 12-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #287
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 292 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

I am finally brewing this tonight. Had it on my to do list for over a month. How much bourbon for 5 gallons again? I think I have 10 ounces prepared.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 12-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #288
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
I am finally brewing this tonight. Had it on my to do list for over a month. How much bourbon for 5 gallons again? I think I have 10 ounces prepared.
Denny was saying 10ml per pint (16oz). But to use that as a reference and add some in and taste until you get there. The bourbon is not supposed to overtake the brew though. you are going for nuance.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 12-09-2011, 12:58 AM   #289
jdd12364
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The recipe call for 12 oz. I used 6 oz. & wish I would have used 4 oz. , I also used Makers Mark .

Old 12-09-2011, 07:30 AM   #290
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 292 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Thanks for the info on the bourbon. 10oz seemed like a lot, especially for an 8.7% beer. I'll add slowly and check it along the way. I had a very nice brew night and hit all my marks. Came in at 1.089. Grains smelled so good they woke my wife up and she came out to investigate. Thought I was baking.

-Retired Homebrewer

Quick Reply