Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Bourbon Vanilla Porter (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2010, 02:36 AM   #191
erock2112
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyote View Post
Watch the mash temps close. I brewed this a few months ago and my temps were off just a few degrees and I ended up with a very very sweet porter.
This. Mine finished at 1.030. I dumped a whole lot more bourbon in there. Now it's got kind of a thick bourbon and vanilla coke vibe.

I have to say though, the brew day was a symphony of smells - toasting the malt in the oven, followed by mashing and boiling, then I baked spent grain bread!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #192
neovox
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Brewed this one today. Got some horrible efficiency for some reason. OG was 1.071. Oh well, I'm sure it will still be beer.

BrewStreams - Homebrewing and Craft Beer News Aggregator

Old 10-12-2010, 07:27 AM   #193
sacrifice
Huh?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Been looking for my next brew, and I think this is it. I have some really nice vanilla paste and a variety of French and Hungarian Oak chips to try. I will probably go with a Hungarian medium or heavy toast oak for the vanilla, bittersweet chocolate/coffee flavors. Should be fun!

Old 10-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #194
barrog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just got this kegged over the weekend. This came out really nice and I beleave it will only get better with ageing. I was afrad to add the 2 cups of bourbon because I wanted it ready for Christmas so I added about 1 and 1/4 but for me it's not comeing through enough so I may add another 1/2 cup. Either way this is a great recipe and thanks for posting it

Old 11-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #195
davidisser
Recipes 

Has anyone ever tried adding oak chips (toasted or new) to this brew? I have about 2oz laying around from another beer and I'm tempted to try it on this one.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:20 AM   #196
chrislehr
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Since I can't search the thread for "oak" - anyone oak this?

Old 11-19-2010, 04:08 PM   #197
kryolla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brewing this up tonight and hopefully be ready for New Years Eve about 6 weeks. I'm planning on bottling some without the bourbon and vanilla and the ones with BV in belguim Bottles. I only have a 5 gallon cooler with FB and a regular 5g cooler which I'll add a paint strainer bag so it should be an intersting brew session tonight.

EDIT: Stressful brew session since its the first time I did this dual mash but I hit all my numbers thanks to the new sight glass I got. It smelled good during the mash and boiling my wife mentioned it smelled like coffee. Pitched 2 hydrated s-05 and its sitting in my keezer at 62* with the probe bubble wrap to the glass carboy. 6 hour brew session, good thing I'm only making this once a year. Total cost was $30.72 without bourbon or vanilla, another reason why its only made once a year. Also got to try out my new stainless 25' IC which took about an hour to get to 64*.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:04 PM   #198
neovox
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts

I skipped the bourbon and just went with just the vanilla on this one, using two Madagascar vanilla beans in the secondary. Had the first glass out of the keg yesterday. It came out really nice. Has a very predominate vanilla flavor. SWMBO says it's dessert in a glass.

BrewStreams - Homebrewing and Craft Beer News Aggregator

Old 11-20-2010, 05:14 PM   #199
timobkg
Recipes 

I made this by splitting open the two vanilla beans, and letting them soak in 2 cups of Maker's Mark while the beer was in primary. Then I added the soaked vanilla beans for the secondary, and the 2 cups of vanilla infused bourbon at bottling. It was amazing!

Old 11-24-2010, 01:47 PM   #200
mad31587
Recipes 

I used 1.5 oz medium toast oak chips in a 5 gal batch. Toasted them in a pan to get the oils aromatics going and added to the secondary. I believe the recommended contact time was like a minimum of 4 weeks, it said on the package that I don't have anymore. I left it in contact for approximately 6 weeks while the beer aged.

In fact, it is still aging: bourbon+oak+vanilla+porter+1.103 SG (way overshot conversion from AG to extract) + nearly 1 year bottle ageing=excellent winter warmer.

All in all, I'd recommend the oak if that's your thing. But I'd caution on the low amount, 1.5 oz is good, but I've had extended ageing, so it depends on what you're going for I think.

Quick Reply