Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Black Pearl Porter (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #71
greencoat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm planning this one for Wednesday, SWMBO just discovered the joy of porters and is pretty pumped for it. Will I need to make a starter for this guy?? Cheers!

[/awesome]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2010, 06:22 AM   #72
greencoat
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This was my second all grain, and everything went flawlessly (except for not having any sanitizer...) hit all my mash temps perfectly, and ended with an OG of 1.061 on the dot. Thanks for the recipe!

[/awesome]

Old 01-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #73
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencoat View Post
This was my second all grain, and everything went flawlessly (except for not having any sanitizer...) hit all my mash temps perfectly, and ended with an OG of 1.061 on the dot. Thanks for the recipe!
Excellent.

Remember that a portion of those 1061 points are in the form of unfermentables so don't be alarmed with what appears to be a stalled fermentation and a higher FG. That's kind of the point with this beer.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #74
ChemEMc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So the first post suggests 1 week primary 10 days secondary, but then... strait to keg, couple days and drink? or would it still be a bit too green then and should be aged in the keg a bit?

I'm 11 days in primary right now (OG 1.60, my first AG attempt), meant to move to secondary after a week, but been busy... can't wait! but will if more aging after the secondary really helps this one out.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:46 AM   #75
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMc View Post
So the first post suggests 1 week primary 10 days secondary, but then... strait to keg, couple days and drink? or would it still be a bit too green then and should be aged in the keg a bit?

I'm 11 days in primary right now (OG 1.60, my first AG attempt), meant to move to secondary after a week, but been busy... can't wait! but will if more aging after the secondary really helps this one out.
Rack it to a 2nd and give it a week. Keg, chill and serve in about another week. The low IBU's and the mellow/sweeter taste profile means it can get to tap sooner.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:50 PM   #76
merlSr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK, first AG yesterday using this recipe. Overall, it went great. Done in 4.5 hours including clean-up. 1.060 OG and bubbling nicely in the carboy. Smelled great and looks good (a little lighter than I thought it would be, maybe itll darken?). I did get stuck sparge though. Ive been reading some other posts concerning this, but Id like to explain my particular situation and get a little insight. Thanks in advance for any help. BTW, Ive already learned so much from you guys. This sight is a blessing to us new guys.
I made a MLT out of a 5 gall (round) cooler with a ss braid (similar to Fly Guy's) with no valve ( I just use gravity to feed or not, by lifting or lowering the end of the tube above or below the liquid level). It seemed to get stopped up after a gallon or so was drained into the pot. Dumped it (twice) into a 6 gal bottling bucket, rinsed ss braid, dumped back into MLT. I ended up scooping grain out with a strainer to finish. A little frustrating, but I got it done. I wondered if the amount (13lbs) of grain in this recipe was to much for the style MLT Im using.

What comes into our mind when we think about God, Is the most important thing about us.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #77
spiceman
Recipes 

I just brewed up this beer 2.5 weeks ago. It's looking pretty good, but my FG has been stuck at 1.031 for 1.5 weeks now despite an OG of only 1.050. Is anyone else finishing this high?

Old 02-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #78
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'll be brewing this (or something similar) sometime mid to late summer as a base for a halloween "pirate" porter....spiced with cinnamon, coconut and bay rum cologne....har!!!!

Old 02-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #79
geoffny25
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed this up today, hit 1.06 OG, and pitched Nottingham yeast. What have people had for FG with all the non-fermentable sugars?

Hopefully it'll turn out alright, first AG.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #80
ChemEMc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm going off memory but if i remember correctly I had a 1.06 OG and my FG was 1.026. And it's currently in a keg and amazingly delicious.

For aging: Primary 11 days, Secondary: 1 week Then kegged. After 1 week on CO2 (room temp) I was drinking it and it was good, a little under carbed but not by much, but after 2 weeks (second week aged cold) in the keg it was where it would consider it "ready" just creamier and a more balanced flavor. And again from memory, but i think the pressure was set for around 2 vols of CO2, maybe a bit lower.

And oh yeah, i stuck with the recipe exactly. (one cup malto-dextrin turned out to be 4 oz for me btw)

Last edited by ChemEMc; 02-23-2010 at 06:34 PM. Reason: added recipe clarification

Quick Reply