English Porter Black Pearl Porter (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From previous posts it seems that people have been landing right around the 1.03 to 1.02 region. I'll expect that, thanks for the info Eric

Mine went down to 1.020 on the dot.

Edited to add the label I'm about to go print off:
blackpearl.jpg

BM, can you recommend a water profile that will really bring out the flavors here? I was originally thinking of using a London water profile but after seeing the ratios it looks more bitter than I would think would work here...Would you just mix up something that was more on the malty side?

Hi guys,

I did a little google over the site looking for Summit Great Norther Porter. There were a few references to this recipe. Have any of you tried Summit GNP? If so, could I please get a rough comparison? I've become kind of attached to it and the double batch of EW Pale Ale I made is going to be enough to last me a long time of that flavor.

I'd like to try a Porter out.

Thanks,
Bill

tried this for the first time today after brewing it on 8/8 and I just wanna say thanks BM its an awesome recipe. Wasnt even cold or very carbed up yet and it tasted fantastic.

Just tapped the second keg of this 10gal batch and its far better than the first keg was. BM this is one hell of a recipe

After waiting very impatiently, I'm gonna pop my first bottle and do a cheesy review.

Pours to a dark brown that shows red when held up to a light. One inch thick beige head, decent lacing. Nose is sweet and roasty, very pleasant. There is an excellent balance of malt sweetness, just enough hop bitterness and roast from darker grains. It has a full, yet smooth body and finishes drier than I would have imagined.

This has to be the best of the beer I've brewed yet and can't wait to share with my friends. Thank you for an excellent recipe, BM! I can already tell you that I'll be brewing this one up again.

I just bottled a slightly modified batch of this. I left out the malto-dextrine and lactose, upped the bittering charge to 1.0 oz., and added a .75 oz Fuggles charge at 15 minutes for a little extra flavor and bitterness. Probably one of (if not the) best batches I've ever done. Thanks for the recipe, BM. :mug:

I'd like to do this as an 8 gallon batch but am not confident in my Brewtarget-fu.

Did this scale properly?

Black Pearl Porter - Robust Porter
================================================================================
Batch Size: 8.000 gal
Boil Size: 10.000 gal
Boil Time: 0.000 s
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.055
FG: 1.014
ABV: 5.4%
Bitterness: 12.6 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 25 SRM (Mosher)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (6 Row) US Grain 12.000 lb Yes No 76% 2 L
Munich Malt - 10L Grain 3.000 lb Yes No 77% 10 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L Grain 16.000 oz Yes No 75% 30 L
Chocolate Malt (UK) Grain 16.000 oz Yes No 73% 450 L
Oats, Flaked Grain 16.000 oz Yes No 80% 1 L

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time IBU
Fuggles 4.5% 1.200 oz Boil 1.000 hr 11.9
Fuggles 4.5% 0.800 oz Boil 2.000 min 0.7

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Safale S-04 Ale Dry 0.388 oz Primary

Mash
Name Type Amount Target Time
Conversion Step, 68C Infusion 5.625 gal 154.400 F 1.000 hr
Batch Sparge Infusion 6.965 gal 170.799 F 15.000 min

Instructions
0) Add 12.000 lb Pale Malt (6 Row) US, 3.000 lb Munich Malt - 10L, 16.000 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L, 16.000 oz Chocolate Malt (UK), 16.000 oz Oats, Flaked, to the mash tun.

1) Bring 5.625 gal water to 167.322 F, 6.965 gal water to 186.690 F, for upcoming infusions.
2) Add 5.625 gal water at 167.322 F to mash to bring it to 154.400 F. Hold for 1.000 hr.
3) Add 6.965 gal water at 186.690 F to mash to bring it to 170.799 F. Hold for 15.000 min.
4) You should now have 10.000 gal wort. Add 0.000 tsp water to the kettle, bringing pre-boil volume to 10.000 gal.
5) Bring the wort to a boil and hold for 1.000 hr.
6) Put 1.200 oz Fuggles into boil for 1.000 hr.
7) Put 0.800 oz Fuggles into boil for 2.000 min.
8) You should have 8.250 gal wort post-boil.
You anticipate losing 1.000 qt to trub and chiller loss.
The final volume in the primary is 8.000 gal.
9) Cool wort and pitch Safale S-04 Ale yeast, to the primary.
10) Let ferment until FG is 1.014.
11) Transfer beer to secondary.

10) Let ferment until FG is 1.014.

Let it ferment until it's done fermenting(eg: the gravity is the same for a few days in a row). It may be close to 1.014, but it may never hit that or it may go lower, don't get stuck on a specific number for your FG.

Anyway, I just brewed this up this afternoon, and the hydro sample tastes very impressive. Just curious how long you all let this one age in secondary before bottling?

Let it ferment until it's done fermenting(eg: the gravity is the same for a few days in a row). It may be close to 1.014, but it may never hit that or it may go lower, don't get stuck on a specific number for your FG.

Well, yeah. That's how Brewtarget formatted the instructions. The expected FG just gets dropped into that narrative step-by-step.

What is the expected OG on this recipe? ...or what was the efficiency of the op?

I wondering this as well! I know Biermuncher has stated 70 efficiency in other recipes, so maybe thats it? I am showing a 1067 at 70%. I get about 78% efficency so I am going to drop the 2-row a pound and hope it doesn't change this recipe too much

My Father (as he holds a Miller High Life) "Its a lot easier to just grab this out of the fridge, huh?"
Future FIL "When are you bringing me more beer?"

Nice sig.

My dad has passed -'96. He brewed his own on occasion. Very Pabst-like.
FIL - ...He only drinks Busch Light or Bed Light. He likes my rootbeer though. I use less sugar.

Brewed my first batch this morning. Was hinky about mashing at 158F, so did 156F. Subbed in C40L for the C30L....otherwise, everything pretty normal. Hit OG of 1.064 inclusive of malto-dextrose and Lactose (which of course will not attenuate). Expect to finish in the 1.020 ballpark.

Nice sig.

My dad has passed -'96. He brewed his own on occasion. Very Pabst-like.
FIL - ...He only drinks Busch Light or Bed Light. He likes my rootbeer though. I use less sugar.

Thanks!

I made this yesterday, with 1lb less 2-row and the C40. Came out pretty well, had thermometer issues so hopefully it is on for the amount fermentable vs non fermentable sugars. Got 1068 OG. Used Wyeast 1084 Irish ale, cause i had washed some from my stout :)

I'd like even the non-beer drinkers to have a pint or two of this. Biermuncher, would you think adding some more C40L give it some noticable sweetness? Or is it better to use a less attenuative yeast?

I put this recipe into beersmith and the ibu's seem well below style. I am getting 6.8 and I am new at beersmith so I doing something wrong? Thanks!

Bottled my first batch today. What was left at the bottom of the bucket tasted smooth & delicious. FG was 1.022....after starting at 1.064. Given the amount of non-fermentables in the recipe, I called that done & capped 'em.

Had to crack open the first tube last night and try it out. Getting good carbonation, still very smooth, great flavor & aroma. This one's a keeper!

BierMuncher, I just cracked a few of bottles of your porter this weekend and they are amazing! I brought some to a housewarming and even the light beer drinkers loved it.

This is a recipe that must be brewed again! It is my favourite beer at the moment. Really works with the winter season.

LHBS did not have any malto-dextrine so I subbed 12 oz of Cara-Pils (my beer has awesome head retention btw). I also couldn't get 1028 for yeast so I used 1968 London ESB Ale yeast. Otherwise same recipe.
OG: 1.075
FG: 1.022
ABV: 6.93% not that you can tell until your drunk on your third beer.

Had to crack open the first tube last night and try it out. Getting good carbonation, still very smooth, great flavor & aroma. This one's a keeper!

BierMuncher, I just cracked a few of bottles of your porter this weekend and they are amazing! I brought some to a housewarming and even the light beer drinkers loved it.

This is a recipe that must be brewed again! It is my favourite beer at the moment. Really works with the winter season.

LHBS did not have any malto-dextrine so I subbed 12 oz of Cara-Pils (my beer has awesome head retention btw). I also couldn't get 1028 for yeast so I used 1968 London ESB Ale yeast. Otherwise same recipe.
OG: 1.075
FG: 1.022
ABV: 6.93% not that you can tell until your drunk on your third beer.

Great to hear they turned out well. :tank:

I just made this last night, it is probably the best tasting wort I have made so far. I added some toasted coconut to it, I am very excited to taste the final product. Thanks for the recipe!!

Making this one in the morning using Maris Otter since that is what I have as my go to base malt. After all the positive reviews I can't wait to give it a try.

Best brew day yet!

BM didn't put an efficiency that I saw but I know he said 70 on his Cent. Blonde so I assumed 63% for this brew which gave an estimated OG of 1.067. I hit 1.068 so not a bad guess. Everything went really smooth. Had the water going for the mash at 11:30 and was done cleaning up by 4 so not a bad all grain day.

We got the mash going and went to the store for some beers and some ice for the IC, came home and got the sparge water heating, ordered a pizza and enjoyed our day. Enjoyed a Great Devide Yeti while we mashed while my brew partner had a Kern Just Outstanding IPA, then we had a Tits Up IPA by none other than BM followed by a Pliny the Elder for each. No hiccups at all by far the smoothest brew day yet. 60 out and the sun was shining.

Happy Turkey day all.

IMG_20101124_125831.jpg

IMG_20101124_131853.jpg

IMG_20101124_141316.jpg

IMG_20101124_141342.jpg

Brewed this today. Got an OG of 1.066. Only mistake I made was I forgot to mash the flaked oats. Was teaching a friend and forgot about them. Hope it doesn't mess it up too much.

Brewed this on 10/8/10. Just racked from secondary to keg and WOW this tastes good. It was 58 degrees and not carbed and it still tasted better than a chilled and carbed sierra nevada porter which i tried right after. :tank:

Thanks for the great recipe!:mug:

Brewed this on 10/8/10. Just racked from secondary to keg and WOW this tastes good. It was 58 degrees and not carbed and it still tasted better than a chilled and carbed sierra nevada porter which i tried right after. :tank:

Thanks for the great recipe!:mug:

It's a house favorite in the wintertime to be sure. :mug:

In a previous post, I noted that my batch went from 1.064 to 1.022, and with that amount of lactose and malto-dextrin as unfermentables, I thought that was reasonable, and bottled it.

Kegged this tonight. Ended with an FG of 1.020. OG was 1.066. Came out really good. Even without the oats. Can only imagine it with the oats. Well done sire!

Brewed this today. Murphy's law in full effect! Stuck sparge. One of my heatsticks popped the GFCI. I was scrambling for sure. Had 11 or so gallons so I miscalculated the sparge a bit. But in the end OG was 1.062. From reading the posts that sounds okay. Sample tastes great so I'm hoping for the best!

Thanks for the recipe. Now it's time for patience. Gonna be hard, though with all the rave reviews. Plus, I went on a bit of an IPA bender so that's all I have on tap.

Cheers.

Hey BierMuncher, Just finished my first batch and all went well. Waiting for the fermentation to complete.

I'm curious about what seems to be a rather low fermentation temp? I know you do everything by design so I'm wondering why you selected 60 degrees for fermentation?

Hey BierMuncher, Just finished my first batch and all went well. Waiting for the fermentation to complete.

I'm curious about what seems to be a rather low fermentation temp? I know you do everything by design so I'm wondering why you selected 60 degrees for fermentation?

LOL. Nothing scientific. It just so happens when I brewed this beer it was in the winter and my basement temp was spot on at 60. Anything within the "normal" ale fermenting range will be just fine though.

LOL. Nothing scientific. It just so happens when I brewed this beer it was in the winter and my basement temp was spot on at 60. Anything within the "normal" ale fermenting range will be just fine though.

Works for me... Thanks!

Latest posts

Back