Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Black Pearl Porter (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 04:51 PM   #261
flyingfinbar
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm thinking about making this my first kegged beer...nice way to warm the lady up to the idea of a kegerator in the house

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #262
craigpollard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Anyone add any coconut to this recipe? If so, how much and when..and how did it turn out?

"The immense importance of a pint of ale to a common person should never be overlooked."
-- Canon of St. Paul's Cathedral

Old 01-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #263
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Copied this quoted post from the Centennial Blonde thread, had a question about it and didn't want to derail anything over there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
I've brewed a few batches of my Black Pearl Porter and added 6 ounces of fresh ground vanilla coffee beans (Eight O'Clock Brand) to the primary after fermentation for about one week.

Hands down, the favorite dark beer of everyone who's tapped my beers.
Sounds amazing. I'm almost two weeks into primary on Denny's BVP and this might be next.

I've brewed coffee pretty regularly using a press and the grounds float, do you siphon from under the grounds and do your best to avoid the top layer? Do you put the grounds in something?

And without reading the full 27 pages, anyone tried MO instead of 2-row? Make a difference?

Lifetime NRA Membership for $300 - 888-678-7894

Dual Stage Fermentation Chamber Build

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Old 01-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #264
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
Copied this quoted post from the Centennial Blonde thread, had a question about it and didn't want to derail anything over there:

Sounds amazing. I'm almost two weeks into primary on Denny's BVP and this might be next.

I've brewed coffee pretty regularly using a press and the grounds float, do you siphon from under the grounds and do your best to avoid the top layer? Do you put the grounds in something?

And without reading the full 27 pages, anyone tried MO instead of 2-row? Make a difference?
I used a coffee grinder set on a pretty coarse setting and just dumped them into the 2-week old primary. When siphoning, I used a pant strainer around the tip of my racking cane.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:41 PM   #265
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher

I used a coffee grinder set on a pretty coarse setting and just dumped them into the 2-week old primary. When siphoning, I used a pant strainer around the tip of my racking cane.
Nice. Definitely trying this at some point.

Lifetime NRA Membership for $300 - 888-678-7894

Dual Stage Fermentation Chamber Build

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Old 01-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #266
cosmatics
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Finally got this brew keg and carb'd to perfection. Let me just say, fantastic beer, thanks so much to BM and others here. I followed recipe exactly, omitted Lacto, got a OG of around 1.060, and finished around 1.018 or so. Mashed around 154 with a single batch sparge. Used a yeast starter of a london ale strain I had from my 1st ESB brew. Sat in primary for a few weeks, bada boom. I'm drinking it out of my ceramic stein now, but I'll post a pic out of a pint glass later. Salud.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:46 AM   #267
craigpollard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Just brewed

Just brewed my first all-grain porter! Hit 1.062...pretty smooth day..cant wait to try this one! thanks for the recipe!!

Old 01-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #268
craigpollard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Any advantage or disadvantage to cold crashing this while in the secondary? I didn't have the equipment to cold crash until my last beer, which was a Belgian pale ale (granted very light in color) but it seemed work very well. Thoughts?

"The immense importance of a pint of ale to a common person should never be overlooked."
-- Canon of St. Paul's Cathedral

Old 02-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #269
BigPicture
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I have to build my pipeline up again. This is next on my list. My 1st porter. I have a # of other items fermenting.

I'm not a big fan of dark beers but my palate had been expanding since I've been brewing for over 1 year now. I was trippin' on my last visit to Bevmo................... picked up 1 of my favorite commercial brews, and was completely let down on how weak it was. Nothing like I remember it. I remember it being so powerful it would knock my socks off. Not anymore! This home brewing has really spoiled me.

BM has quite the reputation on HBT and I'm encouraged since I've brewed a # of his recipes & have never been let down.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #270
seanb
Recipes 

Just brewed this with a few changes used 1oz Northdown instead of fuggles and boiled it for the full 60, also added 1 oz ground coffee to the grain bill. Did not add malto dextrin seemed with all the oats i could skip it. Og 1.061 pitched the Safale 04 @78 degrees. Strong fermentation started in 7 hours so far so good well see how it comes out. I guess its a coffee milk porter at this point

Quick Reply