Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Black Pearl Porter (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 10:51 PM   #241
BillBeer247
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i wouldent say so,
malto-dextrin is the same as carapils, its for body and head rententation

lactose is unfermentable sugar, its more for sweetness

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #242
jdopchibrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Brewing this in a couple of days, had to switch out the munich for vienna and subbed 40L for 30L, thinking that would make up for the difference. mashing at 156? Really excited to make this, my girl is crazy for porters and stouts, so now I finally won't have to hear "it's too hoppy!" anymore

Old 11-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #243
ARDean
Recipes 

Default Pumpkin Pearl?

My pops and I are going to attempt a 'Pumpkin Pearl' - any suggestions:

10 gal

14.15# 2-Row
3.5# Munich
1.77# 40L
1.77# Chocolate
1.77# Oats
2# Dark Brown Sugar

1oz Fuggle @ 60
1oz Fuggle @ 10

2 cup malto
8 oz of lactose

7# roasted Libbys caned pumpkin roasted:
3.5# in mash
3.5# in boil

2 tsp pumpkin spice with a 'dash' of clove mixture (in vodka) 15 min left in boil

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Old 11-02-2012, 01:54 AM   #244
jdopchibrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

ended up making it today, gravity came out to 1.058, but i'm using a new method to keep the carboy cooler, so hopefully that will make up for my lack of efficiency! tasted great going into the fermenter, cant wait to try in a few weeks!

Old 11-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #245
jdopchibrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

so i've had this baby fermenting for a week and a half, and I thought I was sooooo smart trying to use a swamp cooler... but temps in chicago have plummeted and I'm worried my yeasties went into hibernation, as my carboy thermometer is currently reading 57. Think I'm still ok if i bring it up to ~65 and shake the hell out of it? I got a good looking fermentation the first 3 days, but after that, nothing.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:20 PM   #246
Jonathanquist
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 49

and this is the next brew im a making

Old 11-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #247
Groner
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Ok, so I brewed this up the other day and man did it smell exquisite during the mash!

Anyway, I pitched the Wyeast London Ale without making a starter. The bag said max was .060 and I know that the batch is supposed to be .062 but I thought it would be ok, just slow to start. Fermentation started around the 13-14 hour mark so I was a little concerned. But I was happy to see a nice krausen forming and didn't worry about it. I don't have a fermentation chamber and just tried to keep it as cool as possible in the basement here in VA. Probably stayed around 65-68 degrees at all times. The fermenter itself was a bit higher due to fermentation. After about 24 hours (since fermentation started) the krausen has fallen back and is almost gone. I am beginning to see the top of the beer again. I'm not sure what this means exactly or if it means anything at all since I have never: 1. Brewed a porter or anything this high in gravity. 2. Used a Wyeast Smack Pack or London Ale yeast. Does anyone have any insight?

Also, I did aerate the wort by rocking the carboy back and forth for several minutes before and after pitching.

Tap 1: Special Agent IPA
Tap 2: Centennial Blonde v. 1.0
Tap 3: Centennial Blonde v. 2.0
Tap 4: RyePA
Tap 5: Dead Ringer IPA
Tap 6: Empty

Old 11-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #248
jdopchibrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had the same experience with my fermentation... my fermentation temps started in the mid 50's, then came up to around 67 with several degrees in change due to our heat being on and off. Got a nice krausen after 24 hours, but after that it settled pretty quickly after another day or so. been fermenting for 3 weeks, will take a gravity reading and report back. Hoping for somewhere around 1.030

Old 11-25-2012, 05:19 AM   #249
Groner
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Well, I am glad to hear that I suppose. I would be more than happy with .030. I mean, it's still gonna taste good I'm sure, just was hoping for around 6% ABV. I just hope it doesn't get infected when I transfer. My sanitation is methodical and strict but I am worried that with not enough alcohol something else will take hold. Thanks for the response!

Tap 1: Special Agent IPA
Tap 2: Centennial Blonde v. 1.0
Tap 3: Centennial Blonde v. 2.0
Tap 4: RyePA
Tap 5: Dead Ringer IPA
Tap 6: Empty

Old 11-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #250
jdopchibrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groner View Post
Well, I am glad to hear that I suppose. I would be more than happy with .030. I mean, it's still gonna taste good I'm sure, just was hoping for around 6% ABV. I just hope it doesn't get infected when I transfer. My sanitation is methodical and strict but I am worried that with not enough alcohol something else will take hold. Thanks for the response!
I'm leaving mine in the primary simply for that reason, although I'm sure since it's near the end of fermentation it will be fine...

right at 1.020!! A little lower than called for, but I can already tell this is my best brew yet. tastes incredible straight outta the carboy, I would happily drink as is. I mean... I took a second sample just to "double check" my gravity readings were correct cause the first sample went so fast, it was hard to tell

Quick Reply