Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Black Pearl Porter (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 03:20 AM   #131
poopyhead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

just brewed this and waiting for it to cool. (NEED A CHILLER BAD) went pretty smoothly for my first all grain. I did the 2.5 gallon stove top brew with a grain bag. only problem i had was that my temperature snuck up on me when i poured the grains in and i mashed way to high, so i put the pot in a cool water bath to get it down as fast as possible. i got it to around 56 F and it stayed there for the most part for the remaining 45 min. i ended up with a 1.075ish OG which was a little high. my final volume was only about 2 gallons which was off my 2.5 gallon goal which is probably why my OG was so high. next time i would sparge with more water maybe a half to three quarter gallons more. cant wait to try this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #132
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopyhead View Post
just brewed this and waiting for it to cool. (NEED A CHILLER BAD) went pretty smoothly for my first all grain. I did the 2.5 gallon stove top brew with a grain bag. only problem i had was that my temperature snuck up on me when i poured the grains in and i mashed way to high, so i put the pot in a cool water bath to get it down as fast as possible. i got it to around 56 F and it stayed there for the most part for the remaining 45 min. i ended up with a 1.075ish OG which was a little high. my final volume was only about 2 gallons which was off my 2.5 gallon goal which is probably why my OG was so high. next time i would sparge with more water maybe a half to three quarter gallons more. cant wait to try this.
If you can find some sort of "marker" stick that you could accurately determine your starting volume you can better aim for your final volume. I have a foodsafe long plastic spoon with sharpie markings for the gallon marks in my pot. I sparge until I hit the 3.75 mark for 2.5 Gallon batches and when Im outside on the propane burner for 5 gallon batches I need to collect 7 gallons! You just need to know you system! Congrats on the first AG!

Old 02-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #133
poopyhead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
If you can find some sort of "marker" stick that you could accurately determine your starting volume you can better aim for your final volume. I have a foodsafe long plastic spoon with sharpie markings for the gallon marks in my pot. I sparge until I hit the 3.75 mark for 2.5 Gallon batches and when Im outside on the propane burner for 5 gallon batches I need to collect 7 gallons! You just need to know you system! Congrats on the first AG!
thanks! that is definately a good idea. im not so aware of my system yet and that is the first time i have done a 2.5 gallon batch so next time ill definately use some type of measuring stick.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #134
jcsweat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey guys, had a bit of a dilemma here. I was going to brew this today but Brewmaster's Warehouse forgot to include the 1 lb. flaked oats in my order. Not going to get it until Tuesday now. What would this beer taste like without oats in it? A lot worse? Could I just use something like Quaker oats for this? If so, what would I need to do to them to make then usable in the mash?

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #135
Slowfro
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

jcsweat, if you leave the oats out you'll lose some mouthfeel. I've used Quaker before...its pretty much the same thing just less expensive. Mash them just as you would the flaked oats from the homebrew store.

Great Outdoors Brewery:
You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!

www.frobrew.com
@frobrew on the twitter

Old 02-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #136
jcsweat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks! I did indeed use "quick" Quaker oats. Everything went well, although I changed part of my procedure and my efficiency went from 60% to 80%! I used about a pound more grain than the recipe calls for because I was expecting low efficiency again. My OG was 1.071, haha.

Wow, you know you've brewed 2 batches of beer when your clothes smell like malt.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #137
Slowfro
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

BierMuncher - another great recipe so thanks! Drank the first bottles of the batch last night and was very happy with them even after just 2 weeks in the bottle. Can't wait to see how they are after a little more conditioning time. I added coffee to 1/2 the batch at bottling as an experiment and it turned out great.

Great Outdoors Brewery:
You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!

www.frobrew.com
@frobrew on the twitter

Old 03-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #138
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowfro View Post
BierMuncher - another great recipe so thanks! Drank the first bottles of the batch last night and was very happy with them even after just 2 weeks in the bottle. Can't wait to see how they are after a little more conditioning time. I added coffee to 1/2 the batch at bottling as an experiment and it turned out great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsweat View Post
Thanks! I did indeed use "quick" Quaker oats. Everything went well, although I changed part of my procedure and my efficiency went from 60% to 80%! I used about a pound more grain than the recipe calls for because I was expecting low efficiency again. My OG was 1.071, haha.

Wow, you know you've brewed 2 batches of beer when your clothes smell like malt.

Glad to hear the recipes turned out well. Porters are great for adding your own personal adaptations.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 03-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #139
jcsweat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Since you replied, I'll give an update. Small concern tasting it coming out of the fermenter at 3 weeks since brewing. It was very sweet. I may have added a bit too much lactose as I just dumped some in, as much as I thought 4 oz. was. Obviously it's a sweet beer anyway but it was really quite sweet. My FG was 1.019. Do you think this sweetness might diminish after aging a few weeks? Obviously carbonation will counteract it a little bit. Could this sweetness be because I ended up using too much grain? I feel like more hop bitterness wouldn't hurt it either. We'll see how it tastes in a few weeks I guess. I hate the waiting!

Old 03-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #140
Dr. Francois
Dry Yeast FTW
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Any thoughts on adding some brown malt or subbing brown malt for some of the chocolate malt? Would it be out of character?

Dr. François

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
--Kurt Vonnegut

Quick Reply