Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Black Pearl Porter (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2011, 01:44 AM   #121
Dgonza9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Mine hit final gravity 1.018 after about for days. Think I can keg it after two weeks? I'm looking to free up the fermenter for a brown ale. Samples taste fantastic!

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 05:19 AM   #122
bgruis
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hands down the best beer I've brewed...Thanks!

Please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #123
GodsStepBrother
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I was thinking of adding vanilla to this porter. How much do you think would be appropriate?

Old 01-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #124
Slowfro
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

BierMuncher, this looks great, going to brew Saturday. I'm glad a low 60's fermentation is good for this beer since a Wisconsin basement is pretty chilly this time of year. Only question I had was on your mash temp 158 seemed high to me. I've only done a couple darker beers (2 AG stouts and 1 PM stout) and they were at 154. Given the similar style what's the thought with the 158?

Feel free to smack me if that's a dumb question, I just haven't seen any mashes that high.

Can't wait for this one, love your recipes.

Great Outdoors Brewery:
You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!

www.frobrew.com
@frobrew on the twitter

Old 01-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #125
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowfro View Post
BierMuncher, this looks great, going to brew Saturday. I'm glad a low 60's fermentation is good for this beer since a Wisconsin basement is pretty chilly this time of year. Only question I had was on your mash temp 158 seemed high to me. I've only done a couple darker beers (2 AG stouts and 1 PM stout) and they were at 154. Given the similar style what's the thought with the 158?

Feel free to smack me if that's a dumb question, I just haven't seen any mashes that high.

Can't wait for this one, love your recipes.
The 156-158 range will give you a bigger malt profile. More residual sweetness. This is definitely a luscious, rich beer. Filling and satisfying.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:15 PM   #126
poopyhead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

im going to try to do a 2.5 gallon batch of this for my first AG brew. just a quick question, you mash with 4 gallons of water and then add 2.5 gallons for the mash out which leaves 6.5 gallons of water which seems like plenty for the boil. do you not sparge?

Old 01-31-2011, 04:55 PM   #127
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopyhead View Post
im going to try to do a 2.5 gallon batch of this for my first AG brew. just a quick question, you mash with 4 gallons of water and then add 2.5 gallons for the mash out which leaves 6.5 gallons of water which seems like plenty for the boil. do you not sparge?
You will probably want to half those numbers if you are doing a 2.5 gallon batch! Mash at 1.25 quarts of water per pound of grain.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #128
poopyhead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

exactly i just scaled his numbers down so ill be using 2 gallons for 6.5 lbs of grain then mashout/sparge with 2.5/2 gallons. ill be mashing with a grain bag so after the first 45 min of the mash ill take the grains out and put it in a different pot and soak the grains in that water for 15 min then combine the wort.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:05 PM   #129
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopyhead View Post
exactly i just scaled his numbers down so ill be using 2 gallons for 6.5 lbs of grain then mashout/sparge with 2.5/2 gallons. ill be mashing with a grain bag so after the first 45 min of the mash ill take the grains out and put it in a different pot and soak the grains in that water for 15 min then combine the wort.
right! I just read 6.5 gallons of water at the end of your post, and that is a little to much for a half batch! But the 4.5 total gallons will probably put you around 3.5 or so for the boil (grain absorbtion) and you should be right on

Old 02-01-2011, 02:06 AM   #130
BucksPA
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

For everyone saying how sweet this beer is, let me tell you that I brewed this 11.14.10 and cracked the first one open 12.25.10. It was definately a full body, sweet beer. It is a great brew for someone who isn't particularly fond of dark beers. Since then however, it has aged well since xmas day, mellowing out and decreasing the sweet notes. I know it's hard to age beer (especially your own homebrew), but this beer is worth aging.

Great recipe!

40 Gallons brewed in 2013....and counting
33 Gallons brewed in 2012
159 Gallons brewed in 2011

My Brutus 10

Quick Reply