Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Black Butte Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2010, 03:32 AM   #41
Grinch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

got it! Brewed this up this past weekend... ran into a couple issues. First my cooler ended up not being as big as I thought it was, forgot the 5.2, had a little boil over, then this morning found that the airlock had blown off! Still sure this will be good though, going to be a long 6 weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #42
Grinch
Recipes 

Bottled last night. My FG ended up at 1.025 surely due to a number of things. But I tasted it and it tastes good, just not very high in alcohol.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #43
DirtyOldDuck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I know this is an old thread, but if you like porters you should really try this recipe. Deschutes BBP is probably my favorite porter so I really wanted to see if I could brew something similar - this recipe is it. I brewed this about 5 weeks ago, let it sit in the primary for 4 weeks, kegged a week ago and it is very, very good. I am not very good at describing beer flavors, but this beer takes you on a journey. Initially you notice roasted malts (but not too roasty), slightly bitter/semi-sweet dark chocolate, and maybe a hint of coffee. As the beer warms up the chocolate becomes sweeter, more like a milk chocolate, but not too sweet. It is very well balanced, has a nice aroma and tan fluffy head, leaves a nice lacing in the glass - and me wanting another one.

I made a 6 gallon batch and used WLP001 instead of Wyeast 1968, because I had one that I needed to use. According to Deschutes' website, they use Cascade, Bravo and Tettnang hops and the IBU is 30. I substituted CTZ for the Bravo for bittering, again because I had it on hand, and my IBU was 32.4. I am definitely going to do this one again, probably 10 to 12 gallons, and bottle half. If you like porters, you will love this recipe.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:54 AM   #44
Dcmpres
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This was my first mini-mash and it gave me the confidence to go AG. Basically followed it as described, albeit a little change in grains for mini mash. Managed to mash a little cooler than planned, but not bad for my first attempt. I was over my OG by 2 points, and it fermented down to 1.010. I split the batch between two 3 gallon corny kegs and fermented at 64 degrees. Then added some bourdon soaked HT American oak cubes in one batch for additional 12 days. The original recipe was gone before I knew it and my wife enjoyed this recipe over the original in a blind tasting. The bourdon sat in keg for about 2 months and it was pretty darn good. I got scores ranging from 32 to 40 from fellow brew club members. Now I am interested in having fun with this recipe my tweaking it some. Here's to a BBP.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #45
dannedry
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Is there any smokiness to this beer? I know some porters are smokier than others... and I do prefer a touch of smoke flavor... if not, any suggestions? Maybe 1/4# smoked malt to the grain bill??? Thanks!

Old 09-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #46
Dcmpres
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Danndry, there is no smokiness to this porter. I don't have any experience with smoked grains, but I have read that Peat Smoked malt is pretty strong and most recommend 1oz - 4 oz per 5 gallon patch. I have heard if your use smoke (raunch) malt you can go from 5 - 20% of the grain bill - YMMV. I have had two commercial smoke porters, Stone and Alaskan, and the smoke dominates their brew. Stone's recipe uses 4oz of peat smoke malt according to their book. You could alway make this brew to completion, then pour a pint and add drops of liquid smoke into it until you hit the desired amount of smokiness. Then calculate for entire back and give it a whirl. Keep me informed.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #47
todd_k

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is a great beer, had it when I was in Denver a few weeks ago. I wish the grain bill was a bit lower. I couldn't fit all of that in my mash tun.

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged: Smoked Porter

Old 11-05-2012, 02:54 AM   #48
Dcmpres
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Todd, that should not stop you from brewing up this tasty treat. Just go partial mash with this recipe. I'm not sure how much your can hold in your MT? So just substitute 0.75lb of LME for every pound of base malt or 0.67lb per pound of DME. How about subbing 6lbs of 2-row for 4.5lbs of LME. That would drop the total grain bill to roughly 7lbs in your MT. That is what I did for my first PM BBP recipe and it turned out great.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #49
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 216

I know this is an older recipe, but how would you scale this down to a 5 gal batch size??

Old 11-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #50
marty1966
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Can someone chime in with fermentation times? Did you do single or secondary? I'm at 2 weeks and wondering what to do next. With an ale I would just keep it on the yeast for 3 weeks then keg.

Any thoughts?

Quick Reply