Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Bert Grant's Perfect Porter tribute

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #111
Coldies
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I took a 2.5 gallon keg to a bachelor party over the weekend and it was gone within 30 minutes with only a handfull of people drinking it. Bert Grant strikes again!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2011, 12:19 AM   #112
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldies View Post
I took a 2.5 gallon keg to a bachelor party over the weekend and it was gone within 30 minutes with only a handfull of people drinking it. Bert Grant strikes again!!!!
honestly, it's just an easy drinkin' beer..... with a crap load of flavor despite what miller has to say about it
On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 10-25-2011, 12:57 AM   #113
skelrad
Recipes 

Default So far so good!

I just bottled a batch of this yesterday. I'm not much of a dark beer kind of guy (the dark you can chew), but my plan was to brew this for my father and brother-in-law for Thanksgiving. I did my obligatory taste prior to bottling though, and now I'm not sure I want to give it away! It surprised me how good it was straight out of the primary. It's a darkER beer, but definitely not a heavy, overwhelming one. I think what I don't like about many dark porters and stouts is that they tend to get so heavy on the toasted and smoky flavors that it tastes like you're chewing on a piece of burnt firewood and not drinking a beer. This porter is so well balanced that you don't get any one overwhelming flavor though. The flavors really just play off of each other perfectly. And this is prior to any bottle conditioning after the vanilla has been added! Needless to say, I'm looking forward to trying this in a month or so.

I will be interested to brew this one a second time just as a comparison - For this batch I had to use Nottingham, and as luck would have it the weather spiked about 15 degrees while it was actively fermenting (I was away on a business trip so couldn't move the primary to a cooler spot), so I'm pretty sure I fermented higher than I would have liked - probably 70-75 degrees. On the edge for sure. Regardless, the first sample was very promising. Great recipe!

Old 10-25-2011, 05:11 AM   #114
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelrad View Post
I just bottled a batch of this yesterday. I'm not much of a dark beer kind of guy (the dark you can chew), but my plan was to brew this for my father and brother-in-law for Thanksgiving. I did my obligatory taste prior to bottling though, and now I'm not sure I want to give it away! It surprised me how good it was straight out of the primary. It's a darkER beer, but definitely not a heavy, overwhelming one. I think what I don't like about many dark porters and stouts is that they tend to get so heavy on the toasted and smoky flavors that it tastes like you're chewing on a piece of burnt firewood and not drinking a beer. This porter is so well balanced that you don't get any one overwhelming flavor though. The flavors really just play off of each other perfectly. And this is prior to any bottle conditioning after the vanilla has been added! Needless to say, I'm looking forward to trying this in a month or so.

I will be interested to brew this one a second time just as a comparison - For this batch I had to use Nottingham, and as luck would have it the weather spiked about 15 degrees while it was actively fermenting (I was away on a business trip so couldn't move the primary to a cooler spot), so I'm pretty sure I fermented higher than I would have liked - probably 70-75 degrees. On the edge for sure. Regardless, the first sample was very promising. Great recipe!
good to hear, Bert would be proud. The commercial version of this beer was my first "wow" this is beer and it tastes good "beer" I was a porter fan from then on out but still haven't found a better one
On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 11-07-2011, 01:22 AM   #115
NJstout
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

i brewed this but had to use vienna instead of 2row. i added a 12ounces of honey to tone down the veinna alittle. i also had to use northernbrewer hops instead. I used the right yeast though

Old 11-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #116
fergczar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

gomb any updates on your results?

Old 11-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #117
gomb
Recipes 

It's a little over carbed and needs to be warmed before drinking. I used 4.5oz of priming sugar for 5 gallons. I am going to dial it back some. Fridge temps are just too cold for this beer for sure.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:22 AM   #118
skelrad
Recipes 

Just tried the first bottle. It's only been bottled for 3 weeks, and while it's quite good, it's definitely still a little young. After a few more weeks it should be fantastic though. I can smell slight vanilla in it, but can't taste it at all - might bump up the amount next time.

The only thing I'd really like different with this beer is to give it a little more mouthfeel and body. It's got the flavor for sure, but just seems a little "thin" for mouthfeel. Not sure if that's the appropriate way to describe it or not, but that's what it seems like to me. A little more body would make it even better I think. That's kind of surprising for me to say, since I don't usually like heavy dark beers. This beer is great though, and I think might be making me turn a corner!

Oh, and FYI - try a piece of dark chocolate with the beer. A great combination!

Old 12-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #119
Coldies
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes oh yes, another 5 gallons went into the kegerator on Tuesday night. It will be ready for a Friday night BBQ were having. Our guest are really looking forward to it.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:17 AM   #120
NJstout
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

went to keg 5g and the full carboy smashed, lost the carboy and all 5gallons

Quick Reply