Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Robust Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 04:33 AM   #691
jb1677
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Its been about 5 weeks since I brewed this, came in at 6.3% (1.066OG, 1.018FG) and has been on the gas for two weeks. Just took a taste and its great, even better than last time I brewed it! Now I have to manage to not drink a ton of it before the weekend, have promised it to friends at a party on Saturday.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #692
fitzy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Bottled this last night - tasty! NIce and roasted, but not overly bitter or sweet.

I did forget the maltodextrin - despite a midnight bike ride to the grocery store, and their mangers urging me to use splenda. No thanks. Used 8 oz of flaked oats instead for some head retention and mouthfeel. I think it worked well... no excess sweetness, had that luxurious porter texture.

Bee Cave - yer brilliant!

Old 07-19-2013, 03:56 AM   #693
Petekiteworld
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

I've brewed this beer probably 6 times and it always comes out great! Brewed again today at my wife's urging for "that delicious dark beer"!
Nottingham, s04, and conan are all great with this recipe. I've also used all sorts of different hops with good success including summit, centennial, cascade, crystal, and finally apollo today.
I've added the malto at 15mins, flame out, and once not at all, always with good success.

Can't go wrong with this beer, it makes all the commercial porters taste thin and one dimensional! I'm ruined!

Old 08-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #694
Nosnum08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed 9 gallons of this on Monday but am concerned that I am running into fermentation issues. I split the batch into two fermenters, 1 6 gallon carboy and 1 6.5 gallon bucket.

I rehydrated 1 packet of nottingham per fermenter. I also had these fermenters in a chest freezer at 65 degrees.

The bucket was bubbling away within 24 hours and is now into a pretty strong fermentation. The Carboy on the other hand didn't do a whole lot of bubbling. I did see krausen form but as of this morning (50 hours or so into fermentation) it is all gone. I have shaken the carboy a few times to try and get the yeast going again but it hasn't seemed to do anything. I also pulled the carboy out of the freezer to raise the wort temperature a bit.

I may have a bit less wort in the carboy therefore I was wondering if there is just more room for the co2 thus it didn't bubble as much? That doesn't explain why the bucket is still going strong because I would have a hard time believing the carboy fermentation is complete.

Is there a possibility I just got some bad yeast? Both packets had the same expiration date. Any other possible issues?

How long should I wait to take a gravity reading on the wort in the carboy? I'm heading out of town next Week...will it hurt to leave it until then?

Old 08-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #695
dlprice45
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I brewed this as a partial mash BIAB and got an OG of 1.070, pitched S-04 and let it sit 3 weeks in primary at 64-67 degrees. FG was very high at 1.028, so either I didn't aerate enough (doubtful) or maybe the OG was too high for S-04? Not sure, but I'll use Notty next time.

I went ahead and bottled it since it still tasted pretty good if a bit sweet.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #696
KingKlong
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I brewed this Friday night with the only difference being that I added .5oz of cascade at flame out. I just couldn't see keeping a half ounce in my freezer for an unforeseen amount of time. I ended up with a good bit too much volume though as I have with the past few brews (I really need beersmith). I got 77% efficiency on about 8 gallons collected. FG was 1.077. The lid on my bucket is domed up. Luckily it hasn't exploded. Fingers crossed and knocking on wood.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #697
brew_ny
Social_Misfit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 162 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 463

Quote:
Add 8 oz. of Malto Dextrin to boil at 20 minutes
brewing this today as a partial mash with 7 lbs of DME to replace half of the 2 row it is a 11 gallon batch

just use the 8 oz or use a full 16 oz or skip it because of the DME ?

thanks for the advice

S_M

My God—it's full of stars!

Old 08-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #698
steinsato

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

DME and Malto Dextrin have nothing to do with each other. Malto Dextrin is used to add body and that is about it. So I would still use 8 oz of the malto dextrin even though you've replaced DME with some grains.

Edit: Just saw your doing 11 gallons. Yes you could go up to 1lb of Malto Dextrin which is what I plan on doing this weekend.

"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

Old 08-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #699
brew_ny
Social_Misfit
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 162 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 463

thanks for the reply that is what I did

all the best

S_M

the reason I asked was Dry Malt Extract has Carapils in it ( at least the one I am using )

My God—it's full of stars!

Old 08-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #700
EineProsit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Brewing this right now. Just noticed the OP was 5 years ago and still going.
Edwort, I'm a fan.

Thanks for posting

Man All I wanna do is go Homebrew!

Quick Reply