Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Robust Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008, 04:37 PM   #61
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerPressure View Post
Ed what happened to the rest of that recipe? I remember you having yeast instructions and estimated OG and FG?
I don't know what happened to the database part. It just disappeared.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2008, 06:41 PM   #62
jimba009
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

it isn't in your recipe drop down anymore either... boo!

Old 12-03-2008, 06:38 PM   #63
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ed, Question about this brew. I just hooked it up to the gas this past saturday and drew my first sip last night. It was very, very sweet. Unpleasantly so. The only change I had made was to use MO as my base. Also, my hydrometer broke that day so I didn't get an OG reading. But my 4 brews leading up to it had gotten 92% eff, and I had forgotten to reset BeerSmith from 75%, so I think I ended up with an OG around 1.085. My FG was 1.021 and I'm fairly certain I didn't have a stuck fermentation.
SO... back to my question (yes, I did have one). Is this supposed to be a sweet porter? I've never used malto dextrine before and am wondering if the sweetness could be a result of that. I realise that with a FG of 1.021 it'll be sweet regardless, but this, as I said, is just not pleasant. I'm hoping some extra vols will ease that up somewhat, but if you have any ideas I'd love to hear em. Thanks!

EDIT: I don't know if it's an aging thing too, but it's been 9 weeks since brewday.

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Old 12-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #64
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
Ed, Question about this brew. I just hooked it up to the gas this past saturday and drew my first sip last night. It was very, very sweet. Unpleasantly so. The only change I had made was to use MO as my base. Also, my hydrometer broke that day so I didn't get an OG reading. But my 4 brews leading up to it had gotten 92% eff, and I had forgotten to reset BeerSmith from 75%, so I think I ended up with an OG around 1.085. My FG was 1.021 and I'm fairly certain I didn't have a stuck fermentation.
SO... back to my question (yes, I did have one). Is this supposed to be a sweet porter? I've never used malto dextrine before and am wondering if the sweetness could be a result of that. I realise that with a FG of 1.021 it'll be sweet regardless, but this, as I said, is just not pleasant. I'm hoping some extra vols will ease that up somewhat, but if you have any ideas I'd love to hear em. Thanks!

EDIT: I don't know if it's an aging thing too, but it's been 9 weeks since brewday.
1.085????? Cheese und Krackers! That's over 10 points too high. The finishing gravity should be around 1.020, but that is due to the malto-dextrin. Nottingham will ferment it out dry and the malto dextrin adds a bit of mouthfeel and chewiness to it.

My porter is not sweet. It has a hint of roastiness and chocolate, but not cloyingly sweet. I would give it time.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:21 PM   #65
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I could be wrong about my OG, but at 75% attenuation that would be about the ballpark. Yeah, I'm not getting any of that roasty chocolate flavor. Just sweet. I'll wait it out. Which is too bad since I had planned on bringing it to our club's holiday party on the 13th.

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Old 12-07-2008, 02:22 AM   #66
BeerPressure
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

FYI: This is a very active ferment, blew the lid off of my ale pale that had a blowoff tube on it.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:59 PM   #67
BlackNotch
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This Porter started off my EdWort brew weekend on Saturday, and finished with his Kolsch on Sunday.

-Mike

Old 12-22-2008, 02:37 AM   #68
Warpig75
Recipes 

Ed - after all the rave reviews of your recipe i've decide to do a partial mash version (unfortunately Im not quite equipped for AG yet)

I love sam adam's honey porter so if I were to add honey to this recipe; how much would I add and when would I add it?

Old 12-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #69
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpig75 View Post
I love sam adam's honey porter so if I were to add honey to this recipe; how much would I add and when would I add it?
I've never made one before, but googling honey porter recipes show folks adding 1.5 to 2.5 pounds of honey at 10 to 25 minutes left in the boil.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 12-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #70
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
So sounds like the porter turned out great. So did my batch. What did you do different with the Phantom Planet porter? I see you got a second place with it but the picture is the same as this one.

Phantom Planet Porter - morebeer
On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Quick Reply